Anyone else a fan of BBC 6 music ?

Discussion in 'Music' started by MK1jettaGTi, Jan 18, 2013.

1. MK1jettaGTi

MK1jettaGTi Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

I've been listening to this digital-only BBC station for a couple of years and I was tidying up my CD / download collection and I can't believe what an influence it's had on my listening styles.

They hardly ever advertise it but's an amazing station with quality DJs such as Huey Morgan (Fun Lovin Criminals), Cerys Matthews (Catatonia), Mark Ratclliffe and Mark Riley (AKA Mark and Lard from Radio 1 in the 90s, albeit each with their own shows), Lauren Laverne, Steve Lamacq etc

If you're tired of Radio 1, not ready for Radio 2 and like high quality music and discussion, you might like six:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music

Not a single person I've suggested it to has not liked it, check it out.

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

I listen to it a lot. Steve Lamacq tonight played a load of great records in the space of half an hour... Gil Scott Heron, The Pixies, The Afghan Whigs, Smashing Pumpkins, PJ Harvey...

3. angoose New Member

It's on all day at work and i find it has started to influence my music choice a lot recently

4. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Yeah yeah, by far the best station I think. It still suffers from the repetitive playlist thing that all stations seem to adhere to during the week (although with better tracks), but the weekend is usually amazing start-to-finish.
    I turn it off when Everything Everything come on though! :)

5. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Playlist is too short still - and you can easily tell which tracks are supposed to be 'trendy' that week. Radcliffe and Maconie do my nut and really need to stop talking. And someone needs to kill Shaun Keaveny, or get him off the morning slot, until my sense of humour and tolerance of idiots has woken up (usually lunchtime).

I prefer 'Radio Paradise' it's US based, but just plays music, no ads. Problem is there's a bit more 'country' music than your typical UK tastes will accept. They do play some damn good 'off the wall' stuff though - Shatner's cover of 'Common people' Anyone? lol

6. Hornchurch Dan Forum Member

I only stations i really listen to are XFM and 6 music. 6 music was where is first heard Spitfire by Public Service Broadcasting. Great track, check it out on youtube..