ATF ‘trick’ questions

Discussion in '16-valve' started by dub_fever, Feb 1, 2020.

1. dub_fever Forum Member

I have searched the forum and came across some posts on using automatic transmission fluid as an engine flush and had some questions:

1) is it safe to do such thing and would like to hear people’s experiences and what change if any they noticed

2) some posts say to use 1/2 litre and some 1 litre, what’s the recommended amount to use?

3) if the dipstick is half way on the marker how much oil is normally needed to get to max? I ask this because I would like to try this without draining any oil.

TIA

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

from memory its about 1ltr from low-high on the dipstick...so 0.5 ltr should fill you up (but check the dipstick)

ive done it many times with no bad effects , 0.5 for a gentle clean , 1ltr for a filthy engine , dont go racing around and abusing the engine with this in it , just drive around gently and dump it out after 300 miles or so

3. dub_fever Forum Member

Thanks PB, pretty much answered all questions.

Last one - better to do town driving or motorway as well?

Did you notice any change ie quieter tappets or difference in performance?

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Driving is driving. The engine oil doesn't know any difference whether you're in town or on the motorway lol. It's not like you're trying to run it in, or decoke it, you're just circulating it around the engine via the oil pump. Once it's up to temp, even a fast idle would do.

dub_fever likes this.
  5. pigbladder Forum Addict

yes its cleared up sticky tappets for me , does remove alot of filth , it wont improve the performance its just cleaning the oily parts

driving doesnt matter , but like i say take it easy no red lining /racing it

dub_fever likes this.
  6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

just be aware that doing this can clean up any varnish holding old parts/seals together. after using a standard off the shelf oil flush on my mk2 the oil cooler started leaking, probably down to poor coolant servicing from previous owner. did the atf trick with my mk3 engine and it had no issues whatsoever.

if you have a tin of oil flush in the garage use that, if not price up atf vs oil flush and use whatever is cheaper. not like it'll work any better

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

im no scientist , but the atf seems to be regarded a safer /gentle clean vs some off the shelf cleaners that remove so much so quickly that it ruins things