Audi 3.2 24v BMJ weird idle issue not pcv and no errors on vcds

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by RichG60, Mar 20, 2022.

1. RichG60 New Member

Good morning,

I wonder if anyone can help please as I'm really stuck. I have a problem with my 3.2 34v conversion. The car worked flawlessly last year and has been over the winter.

I got it out to give it it's first run before it's MOT tomorrow and it was fine initially and then all of a sudden I have a weird idle.

Yesterday I took the rocker cover off and inspected the new pcv diaphram I installed last year and absolutely fine. VCDS is not showing any fault codes.

Started the car up first thing and it was idling perfectly, then engine revs dropped to normal idle. Went inside and a minute later the strange idle. When the car is on the road it is not holding back and just like normal but idle is a mystery.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can check now?

I really am out of ideas.

Video of issues:

2. RichG60 New Member

Also checked for vacuum leaks and can't find any.

3. RichG60 New Member

OK I've fixed the issue. Dodgy MAF sensor! Disconnected the MAF and everything was running fine. Swapped over to a spare one and everything is running sweet. Very odd this didn't log any errors. Very happy now but not so much removing the rocker cover as it takes 4 hours to remove 9 intake bolts in a MK1 [:s]. Removable front panel I think is on the cards :thumbup:

Vinnie likes this.
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

good work! I know what you mean about 'modern' hassles just doing the timing belt on our PD150 bora and just getting the side bracket out has taken me about as much time as it would take to do 3 or 4 timing belts on a mk1 or mk2 golf, its like VW decided to make the mount 2mm too large to fit out of the gap to the chassis rail on purpose all the way round :lol:

5. RichG60 New Member

Thanks John, passed it's MOT with flying colours. I think Spiderman's moral support helped!
    IMG_20220321_082508286.jpg
    IMG_20220321_083224118.jpg

On the road for another year :)

IMG_20220318_162717352_HDR.jpg

Adamss24 likes this.
  6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

looks lovely in yellow :)