Audi A4 BTCC / STW engine specs - 305 bhp from an N/A valver.

Discussion in '16-valve' started by A.N. Other, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2015
  2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

A year ago this month, a unique opportunity came up totally relevant to this thread:

http://events.imeche.org/EventView.aspx?code=L277

Spend 2 hours listening to the man responsible for making the BTCC / STW engine?

Game on.

CE_Ulrich Baretsky.png

So I went along, and it was very good. Obviously it focused on the diesels, as per the script: Audi racing at Le Mans From 12 cylinders to 10 to 120-degree V6. More miles per gallon, more cylinder pressure, aerodynamics... laptimes. Always improvement. The current single turbo for the V6 has 2 cold side air outlets, not one. I've never seen one like that anywhere. 3 bar turbo pressure, torque in the region of 920 NM for the V6 and over a 1000NM for the V10. KERS now mandatory. Airbox design, 3 times the size of the originals for more low down torque. Very entertaining speaker also, setting up various jibes eg they lost a race one year due to getting the aero wrong. Not an engine problem!

Interestingly the origins of FSI petrol engine apparently is from R&D racing at Le Mans with petrol engines in the late 1990s.
    He was very good at marketing how racing improves the breed, always saying Audi will not do it if it cannot be put on a road car, eg the metal used in the turbos or the heat shock they get in the turbos, if they cannot later use it for production they will not do it. I think this is possibly a stretch - winning is what matters! Always the impression though was how seriously Audi takes the racing - the fastest way of advancing technology. Seamless marketing or embedded company ethos? There and then, it didn't really matter
    Loads of bar charts, graphs, telemetry on throttle, torque, all the way to DPF filters.

He made great fun of Porsche's future racing ambitions at Le Mans, at one point suggesting half the audience was full of Porsche people, keen to learn!

He also said that if they put what they know now with diesel back into petrol, that would be some engine.

Various engineers at the end of it were asking multiple questions. KERS outputs, you name it, they were digging hard! One guy was asking for compression ratios and cam durations! He was given a "no"! Cams and compressions were a "no", and the closest on diesel compressions was "they would not surprise you".

Once it was finished, I could not resist the opportunity to shake his hand. Said to him "you got 315 bhp from BTCC/STW engine, and so where did you get it?" His first and only answer was "friction". He started talking about the small bearings we all learned about in this thread, he mentioned the lightweight cranks we also know about - 7.5kgs he said, against the figures of around 11kg or more I recall weighing - and he immediately said "don't buy one, they are VERY expensive !!"

They might have been then, but he doesn't know they're obtainable....

Obviously we know the blocks were likely fakes, and with his Audi shirt on, I didn't bother with the suggestion. More interestingly he said the F3 FSI engine (here and here)was a development of all the good ideas they had with the BTCC/STW. He did not say much more and I could not keep his time as others were waiting.

I'd arrived a little late so didn't see who was there, but as it ended and the lights rose, sure enough it transpired there were a few CGTI-ers in the audience, who'd been similarly entertained by a great engineer and great speaker.

Ulrich Baretsky. Worth a Google :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2015
  3. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Interesting stuff :)

i've already booked the Le Mans Camping for next year should be a good year with Audi V Porsche in LMP1 :thumbup:

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

5. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

The first Laguna shell was delivered to GB Motorsport who ran the Renault BTCC program in early 1994. And it was delivered with some ceremony by the bigwigs from Paris. The first job of he day was to weigh it to see what they had to play with. One of the more junior mechanics was tasked with the job, and on seeing the result shouted out, in front of all management and aforementioned bigwigs present, "ooh, you fat bast*rd!". You could have heard a pin drop aparantly.

Lol...

6. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

I've got one of those gearboxes but not the engine, V8 head, similar to the STW motors for sure.

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

:thumbup:

There seemed to be a 'nuisance' waterway on one of the V8 banks, so interesting to see it in a transverse install :)

Meantime, found this from 1996, lol

[​IMG]

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ah, this (?) orange car has popped up before here :thumbup:

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

This was the one I was thinking of:

[​IMG]

10. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i don't see that being a problem having water way on the side in fact i can see two advantages of having it on the side
    one you would need to move the alternator lower down moving the wheight lower down and giving more space for throttle bodys
    plus it dose away with the one between the cylinders

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

For those with an interest in these cars, there are a couple of them in the UK at the moment in UK owners hands. One came in in the last month, and was at Goodwood FoS sounding just the part - immediately recognisable noise:

[​IMG]

(Pic - JamesW)

- whilst the other has been here a while and is undergoing resto work.

One or both will doubtless turn up at the Super Touring historic events, eg the Silverstone Classic which is not far away now. Keep an eye out and check the entry lists in advance (or ask the organisers direct) :thumbup:

infinity likes this.
  12. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Great thread, I must admit these are one of my favourite cars due to the innovative and comprehensive engineering involved, largely due to working within the specific confines dictated by the regs. Make great hillclimb cars, on the right type of hills.

Great thread, always doubted we would ever see one on the UK hills, but you never know now the closed road motorsport has taken a step forward. Some nice roads [hills] in the UK which could potentially be available and would suit these cars very well. Might well attract some investment in the sport now, inline with the European events, which might then attract these sorts of machines :thumbup:

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Novelty interest? Data traces from 4WD cars:
    CapelloandWendlingerVallelunga1997.JPG

jamesa likes this.
  14. Robin Marriott Forum Member

I have some very interesting pictures of this particular engine but can't host them in my normal place at they won't upload. Anyone fancy hosting them?

HPR and 3hirty8ight like this.
  15. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Hi Robin

I have sent you a message, I can host them on the club server for you.

Thanks

Mat

HPR, jamesa and 3hirty8ight like this.
  16. Robin Marriott Forum Member

First of all thanks to Mat for sorting out the hosting on these.

Secondly, I don't speak French very well but from what I can see, this is a Renault F7R engine, built for the STW regulations and raced somewhere in Europe, although one of the pics shows a long inlet which leads me to believe it may be a Formula 3 Renault engine.

But still, it's a 2.0 16v engine, from the right era, with some incredible head modifications to bend the rules somewhat.
    image2.jpg image3.jpg

Standard head for comparison, no machining for the cams like the modified one
    image4.jpg image5.jpg image6.jpg image9.jpg

What's this strange billet plate?
    image7.jpg

Take it off and have a look behind it, there's 4 more (original) inlet ports...
    image8.jpg

and finally, probably the best 2 pictures I've found of it.
    image10.jpg

Above, the head, with it's 8 inlet ports and below, the insert for slide throttles? creating an entirely new inlet path.
    image1.jpg

So I'm not sure what I'm looking at, the pictures with a 'yacine' watermark seem to be of a different inlet setup, much shorter which I would say was designed for a tin top, whereas the grubby garage pictures, showing what appears to be a longer inlet points towards F3 but other than that, they seem to be the same engine.

I can't seem to find any decent pictures of an engine from a Laguna, which would fit with the timescale this engine would have been used in F3 for comparison but I thought you guys would still find it interesting.

Amazing what your brain remembers too, saw the pics and immediately thought of this thread!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2018
    erreesse, Nige, notenoughtime and 6 others like this.
  17. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

18. Robin Marriott Forum Member

So it is an F3 engine then, that's a shame :(

19. Robin Marriott Forum Member

Saying that, the Laguna engine seems to have the inlet manifold quite close to the cam cover so it could well be the same setup.

Might have to go to all the HSCC Super Touring races this year and poke around the Laguna in the paddock somewhere.

20. TrackCab16v Forum Member

fantastic workmanship , gone in to that head , bringing this forum to another level ,:thumbup:

had my hands on a vw motorsport head orgine unknow , but the quality of it was incredible far better than any thing ive seen . copied some idears from it on when working my own head . pulled 203 hp with a 95 mm crank and k jet fueling .