Audi A4 BTCC / STW engine specs - 305 bhp from an N/A valver.

Discussion in '16-valve' started by A.N. Other, Mar 23, 2009.

1. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

As we talked alot about ROC in this tread .... before into Audi STW cars.... ROC ran cars at Lemans in 1976...
    WM_Le_Mans-1976-06-13-027.jpg WM_Le_Mans-1976-06-13-027a.jpg WM_Le_Mans-1977-06-12-026.jpg WM_Le_Mans-1977-06-12-026a.jpg

and developed their own engines , here an example of their Formula 2 engine
    motroc.jpg roc-kopf.jpg roc-motor.jpg

http://technikhomepage.de/kfz/motor/formel2.html

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    erreesse and Nige like this.
  2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

3. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

med.jpg

erreesse and RobT like this.
  4. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    erreesse likes this.
  5. pieterp.be New Member

Spotted this at Essen Motorshow today, check the suffix and hp value...
    PICT0057.JPG

Didn't get the chance to speak to the owner or builder, so not sure to what level of 'STW' it is.
    IMG_20151206_135812329.jpg IMG_20151206_135856441.jpg IMG_20151206_135930776.jpg IMG_20151206_135920329.jpg IMG_20151206_135709000.jpg

This is the car it is in:

erreesse, Toyotec and sparrow like this.
  6. pieterp.be New Member

First pic should have been this:
    IMG_20151206_135735512_HDR.jpg

erreesse likes this.
  7. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

^^^ Cylinderhead wih valvetrain, Crank, rods and pistons are all to STW spec

erreesse and sparrow like this.
  8. euro-jdi New Member

Wow this thread is amazing. Hi to all been a lurker for years now and finally decided to join due to the interest in this topic, most of the time was able to find answers to any question I may have had regarding performance mods, but with this certain topic ( referring to angle milling head and port relocating / straightening ) it been very difficult to get straight answer. So a little back story. I port and polish lots of heads varying in make and models but personal faves have always been European cars, I love the VW's ,Alfa, Beamers, Porsche, but after porting so many Hondas I started to ask myself what was VAG thinking with these angles in the 16v head? the @^%#*& exhaust ports take practically a 80% turn and that's coming from a horrid valve parallel to piston head surface. Anyways I as the years past learned that the best flow will come from the path with least resistance( always keeping velocity in mind of coarse) and like many of you, I seek to see what the best are doing to learn and implement new things ( F1 Head design i.e ) to what ever I may be building. Sooooo long story short for the past few years I've been wanting to do some fairly invasive modifications to a VW ABF head and low and behold all I've been thinking of has already been done to basically the same head. I've popped in a pic I photo shopped to show what I am referring too. and still would like some clearer specs to what measurements the angle milling should be done. 1.5 -2.0 3.0 mm I have in mind what I'm going for, but first hand experience is hard to beat.

Thanks a mil

as you can see in picture raising and filling ports will greatly asist flow in these heads.
    modifieed angles.jpg

erreesse likes this.
  9. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

Welcome,

The head is angle milled mainly to reduce combustion chamber volume and as a result the piston dome can be kept a little lower what saves a little weight...
    it also means that the headbolt holes need ovalised...

The STW heads were special castings...with no injector pockets and smaller ports, that gave more freedom to porting...
    The 16V heads were never meant to be a performance head.. but with inlet at 25 degree and the exhaust valve straight down.... it gave benefits with big valves and extreme cams...

erreesse likes this.
  10. WAUOla Forum Member

Don't forget, the VW 16V is basically a chopped down 1983 Sport Quattro design.
    Essentially, it does better with forced induction (in terms of valves and angles), the little I know and understand of things.

The A4 STW pictured sometimes in this thread finally got it's outing this early June.
    You can see it on my instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BGPGuikw81n/?taken-by=wauola

erreesse, HPR, Toyotec and 1 other person like this.
  11. Breadfan83 Forum Member

So, the other day I was looking up fast 16v NA engines, and stumbled upon this tiny red mk1 Golf just ripping it up.

It mentioned an STW engine, so I tried finding a little more info on this thing. An article on Drive Tribe covered this car and engine after it went from the 1.6 16v engine to the now 2.0 16v STW powersource.

https://drivetribe.com/p/307hp9500r...2hOqSa-qbqgjkYrruw?iid=JfVznTPiScGyHk4gGjS6Qw

Here they speak of the 2.0 AUDI engine, so def. no VW, but then go on talking about it being derived from the ABF block. The head doesn't look anything like any ABF head I've ever seen in my life though. Also doesn't completely look like a V8 head like the 90's STW cars used to run however.

[​IMG]

Fact is though, this is a 2.0 Audi 16v engine from the 90's, running about 307 hp NA on throttle bodies.
    Right now, I'm trying to get in touch with the owner of the car, and sent him a message asking for specs on the engine. In the meantime, my ACE block and both the PT heads are still sitting on the workbench like they have for the past anywhere between 5 and 10 years now.

[​IMG]

Let´s get this thread back to life and see what we can further come up with!

erreesse likes this.
  12. Breadfan83 Forum Member

I'm just gonna post a list of links under here to later go through and select all the info from. But for now, I have too many tabs open on my computer to make any real sense of what's what. LOL

So, here goes:
    Facebook page for Mister Egidio Pisano. A racecar driver from I believe Germany, driving a mk1 Golf with an original Audi 2.0 16v STWM engine. I am trying to get in touch with the good man and see if he's willing to share some information with us.

https://www.facebook.com/egidio.pisano.98

https://www.facebook.com/groups/215388535168672/

https://drivetribe.com/p/307hp9500r...2hOqSa-qbqgjkYrruw?iid=YTy_1eCqSsKgrjdCfp-uUQ

An olf FS thread on a Dutch forum I used to frequent. Talked with the guy selling the engine in the past a lot, haven't in the past so many years, but will try and see if I can get some info out of him on the engine he used to own. If memory serves me correct however, he posted in this very thread years ago as well.

http://www.volksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104224

http://www.motorsport-sales.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=320&products_id=8904
    A FS thread (all is sold) on some among others suspension parts for the Audi 80 STWM car. Some clear pictures of all parts too. In the next few days I plan on collecting and saving all pictures in all these links and putting them up here so nothing gets lost over time.

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/78701/audi-80-stw-audi-a4-stw-spare-parts-package
    An old really short thread on a Dutch forum with some links, a picture I believe that has already been posted here several times, and info on (a) driver(s). Need to go through this one too, still, but just want to get all the info in one place for now.

https://www.audiforum.nl/forum/audi...-discussie/27934-audi-80-comp-stw-1994-a.html
    À lot of info on the Audi 80 Competition, the homologation car with the ACE engine in it as it was used in the STWM. The info in the diagram could be used, if not already, to complete the list on the first page of our thread right here.

http://www.danbbs.dk/~brd/competition.htm

http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=45809

erreesse and Toyotec like this.
  13. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

useful thanks
    Jon

14. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

Its not ABF based on its high 236 mm block and STW engines used low 220 mm block...

The engine as in the Pisano Golf is pretty much covered in FULL in this tread…. altough its all spread over 45 pages …

Apart that we discussed alot … some things we compared to std 16V and V8 engine parts to see its origins … apart a factory has different suppliers as they often like to have a plan B, just incase… and even in R&D / pre production stadium, there are many parts made from which x couple hunderd are made, but never made it into normal production …. but they might be used in special projects or motorsport, even years later....parts we have no acces to… and even special castings can be made....

We went in this tread trough various engine versions of the STW engines, going from early engines made by MTK and also Mader....
    Audi Sport took it inhouse when they started with the Audi 80 STW cars as it became an official race program by Audi...

Early spec engines ( A80 STW ) with V8 DTM head and slide trottles…. while later spec engines ( A4) first with slide trottle and later used more conventional trottles of a larger diameter as on the Pisano Golf engine....

Its not all straightforward… the oilpump and oilfilter sit on the exhaust side in a transverse install as in a Golf / Scirocco … this need moved the inlet side... to make space for the r-h driveshaft ….but the good news is, there is also a version with the oilpump at the waterpump side...

Engines are very much build on the edge…
    and parts are very hard to source, as there is not a shop you can go to… and it need alot inside knowledge and skill to build / rebuild these engines...
    and that brings you to the tuners..... if you get a healty budget....

A few more toughts…. the STW engines were upto 315 hp, best seen on dyno according a book by Audi … but was it within the 8500 rpm limit ? as needed by the rules for STW...or just to see what could be done….

The Bergcup STW engines make usually max power around 8900 - 9000 rpm with a rev limit near 9500 rpm… while STW made max power around 8250 - 8300 rpm …. food for tought !

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    erreesse likes this.
  15. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

STW A4 llll.jpg 17.jpg

erreesse likes this.
  16. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

IMG_2187.JPG IMG_2188.JPG IMG_2206.JPG IMG_2182.JPG IMG_2190.JPG IMG_2196.JPG IMG_2202.JPG IMG_2194.JPG IMG_2192.JPG IMG_2193.JPG

erreesse likes this.
  17. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

IMG_2203.JPG IMG_2219.JPG IMG_2209.JPG IMG_2184.JPG IMG_2213.JPG

erreesse likes this.
  18. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

IMG_2160.JPG IMG_2176.JPG IMG_2164.JPG IMG_2165.JPG IMG_2167.JPG IMG_2171.JPG IMG_2172.JPG IMG_2175.JPG IMG_2178.JPG

erreesse likes this.
  19. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

IMG_20161209_113723.jpg hkjs.png

erreesse and Jon Olds like this.
  20. nathanvr New Member

Just read the entire thread. Fascinating throughout. HPR, have you sourced the above engine or just had access to take the photos?