Audi A4 seat change advice

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by mk2 nas, Oct 5, 2016.

1. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Hello,
    I'm planning to change my drivers seat for a like for like one.as mine is damaged.
    The seat is the airbag type with electric lumber.will I encounter any issues changing this or just
    Swap out(job done).
    My concern is weather the seat is somehow linked to Ecu and won't recognise a different seat being
    Fitted.any comments will help.thanks
    Car is a 2004 b6

2. BenGould New Member

As far as I know you should be fine.
    You may get an airbag light but that will be pretty easy to get reset.
    No coding involved though.

Disconnect the battery first. Have heard it can set the bag off if you don't. Not sure how but for such a simple job it's not worth not doing.

Ben.

3. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok , just been reading up on this on various experiences of others.it seems to be people not dis-connecting
    Battery or accidentally switching on ignition(don't know why)while a plug is not connected causes a fault.

I did change a whole interior on a pug 406 a while back,dis-connected battery for half hour before even
    Starting anything.no lights,no faults maybe I got lucky or killing of power does stop issues with Ecu.
    If the seat is electrically dead on removal, and new seat is dead on install then the ecu should wake up
    After connecting battery,run its checks and see all is normal...right:thumbup:I hope

4. BenGould New Member

That's the way I see it. If the ecu is live in any way during the changeover it knows that an airbag is missing and throws up a fault. If it is not powered in any way, it can't know.

I'm pretty sure the setting airbags off rumours is false, but never thought it worth the risk.

Ben

5. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

That's how I will be doing it ,hopefully no icon will appear on dash.

6. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

All good,seat changed with no issues no lights on dash:thumbup: