Audi door handles on a mk1 golf

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Intraclast, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Intraclast New Member

Heya,

I am currently planning my mk1 project
    and am looking into the possibility of putting audi door handles (the
    80 or 100 ones that sit flush to the door panel) on. I have
    looked at the relevant threads here and they have helped.

I was wondering if anyone can point me towards any howto's about this or give me details on how to do it (pic's would be great! [:D]). If I decide to do this I would like to do it myself so I need to know whats involved.

If anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks! :)

2. beekeeper Forum Member

I put some in my mk1 caddy and am currently putting some in the mk2.

The procedure is the same and i'm taking pics this time round so will post them when done.

I do this for a living but its really not that difficult.

3. Admin Guest

thats a bloody sweet caddy!!!

andyceb is putting those handles on his mk1, worth a look/pm to him

4. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

[:^(] [:^(] [:^(] [:^(]

I just wrote a huge long post and lost it!

Will write it again later! [8(] :lol:

5. Intraclast New Member

Cheers guys, looking forward to the details!:)

6. Intraclast New Member

bump[:$]

any chance of that post you lost Andy?

thanks

7. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

[:$] Opps sorry mate, completely slipped my mind! Here you go...

Right the way I look at it there is three main points to installing these handles, placement, fitting and the linkages.

Firstly the placement, where you actually decide to mount the handle on the door, this is especially important on the Mk1 because if it is slightly too high etc it will not fit or the window will not roll down [:s]

I fitted mine exactly where the golf handle was,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This does work if not a little tight to install so maybe a few mm lower might be an idea?

The dimentions of mine are:

Measurement A: Between the edge of the handle and the edge of the door = 75mm

Measurement B: Between the top of the handle and the crease in the door line = 25mm

[​IMG]

Secondaly fitting:

Choose firstly what you want to use, original Audi stuff like I used or those weld in panels.

I have heard mixed reports about the aftermarket weld in panels, using inferior parts etc so I decided to steer clear.

Original Audi handles are cheaper and come with the linkages but maybe harder to fit depending on your method of fitting.

Also if you use original audi handles go for one from an Audi100 over an Audi80

For the welding you have two choices how to fit them,

1) bend the metal 'up' to make the handle sit flush and weld from behind, this will give a nice flush apperence but will be impossible to hide any imperfections due to it sitting flush.

2) sit the handle behind your original door skin (which is what I did) and weld in from beind or the front if you dont want to cut your door even more...

[​IMG]

There was concern when I did this that the handle would look sunk in the door but it doesnt because the auctual handle part is slightly proud anyway...

[​IMG]

Next part it the linkages, these are what connects the handle to the lock mechanism (ie opening the door when you pull the handle)

This is another benefit of original Audi handles from a scrappy because you get all the audi metal linkage rods with it :thumbup:

What you need to do is bend and shape these so they reach the latch on the lock to open the door. This was in my opinion the hardest part of the conversion, youve got limited space to work and its very tedious [xx(]

You occasionally even see cars on ebay with "Audi show handles (do not open doors, for show only)" Which basically means they gave up after failing with the linkages! :lol:

There is not really much advice I can give you here except to say on mine I used the audi lock and audi linkage and bent it into shape (about 20times :lol: ) before I was happy the door opened smoothly

I hope this was some help, hopefully it makes sense, let me know any questions ill try my best to answer them! :thumbup:

8. EADubber Forum Member

good advice andy - when i did my audi handles i used an after market kit. the panels fitted ok but again the locking mechanism was pain as there were no rods in the kit, so i had to fab them myself.

One thing i would say is that once your happy with the position of the handle take the welding process slowly, weld from opposite corners as the door skin will warp easily.

tim.

9. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

Yeah that is an important point I missed! Thats why we used small spot welds for mine :thumbup:

10. Admin Guest

top tips every one, this might make a nice FAQ [:D] ;)

11. Intraclast New Member

Thanks Andy, that is awesome. I was at my local breakers yesterday and there is no shortage of audi 80's but only a few 100's. Can you tell me why the 100's are better than the 80's? Also would a 90 do?

And just to confirm: You need the full locking gear from the donor? Door handle, mechanism, latch, striker? I can source a nice set of chromed latches from a 90.

Also will the central locking system from the donor work ok?

Thanks again! [:D]

12. EADubber Forum Member

I adapted mk1 latches by welding a small amount of flat bar so i could connect to the handle.

So if you can get the handle, latch and linkage thats prob the best idea. No idea whether 90 latches are the same, can't see why they wouldn't be.

Lots of vw central locking is vaccum operated. Why not get an aftermarket kit there's loads about for reasonable money.

13. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

Yeah Id agree with EADubber, get as much as you can, better to have all of it rather than being short a piece!

As for the central locking the easiest/cheapest/most reliable route is aftermarket, you can get a kit from here 13 for a 2door kit, or you can buy the 4door kit and use the extra ones for a boot release if you like :thumbup:

The Audi100 is easier because the panel is flatter, the Audi80 has a swage line across the panel, unsure about the Audi90 sorry.

Audi80 isnt impossible, thats what I used it just means flattening it out abit, especially if you fit it flush with the door skin (ie what I DIDNT do)

Let us know how you get on! [:D]

14. Intraclast New Member

Thanks again, I'll go and have a look at the differences between the 100 and the 90 at the scrappy on the weekend. Its gonna be a while until I do it, but when I do I'll let you know! [:D]

15. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

Bump! [:D]

And finished product! ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice and smooth, not sunk behind the door skin at all :thumbup:

Hope this is some help!

16. Admin Guest

nice work!

17. jimi sangers New Member

Hello everyone,
    I also struggle with the door handles especially the latches.. door handle hitting the window now I’m wondering in this post I can’t see any photos could someone provide me with photo's?

cheers Jimi
    From Holland