BakPak's TDI

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by BakPak, Apr 10, 2016.

1. BakPak New Member

Hello everyone,
    Just bought a MK5 golf tdi for work and I'm well chuffed with it. I have a few plans for the car and this forum was recommended by my buddies at AudiSport.net.
    The car has only done 94k and is very tidy, however it has the 105hp engine and improving the performance is on the to do list but I don't want to change the turbo so any ideas guys on how to boost the power please?
    It obviously has the standard bouncy castle suspension so I will change struts and springs shortly. Again any ideas on that would be appreciated please. With my old Audi A4 I fitted AP lowered kit but I would prefer not to go that low. I was thinking of standard suspension for a GT TDI or similar. I had new tyres fitted on the Audi so I put the wheels on the Golf, they are 17's (235/45/17).
    Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you chaps, Mark.

2. BakPak New Member

Not a particularly chatty bunch are you lol!

Another thing I noticed is paint bubbling on the drivers front wing. It's a 56 plate, am I completely wasting my time if I contact VW under the 12 year corrosion warranty?

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

The paint issues are common. A friend of mine had his sorted under warranty with vw on hid ED30 so I'd say it's worth a go.

4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

My old mk5 was very good on GT factory shocks with eibach 50mm drop springs and ran 18x8 et50 with 225-40-18

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Hey Mark.

Sorry some of us were slow.

Yes we work very well with Audi Sport.net as some of their members are also members here.

105 ps engine sounds like the good ol 1.9 PD yes?

Suspension as per Gurds.

6. BakPak New Member

I'll pop to VW on Saturday morning and see what they have to say. I think they will say it is invalid because it has had some repairs and is CAT D! The wing looks original though.

7. BakPak New Member

Sound bud, the AP kit with 30mm lowered springs should be fine with the 17's currently fitted then. The complete kit is 315 from DPM, that's where the Audi suspension came from and for the money I was well pleased.

8. BakPak New Member

Yes mate 1.9PD. Again same engine in the Audi but it was 130hp and went well. I don't want the hassle of changing the turbo, just a plug and play chip for instance to make it a bit more rapid. I was hoping someone had done this to their weedy 105hp!

9. Toyotec

I believe the 1.9 TDI 105ps can be remapped to ~ 150 bhp depend on which dyno it is measured.

10. BakPak New Member

Sound I'd be happy with 140bhp mate. Amazing really I thought the turbo was the size of a peanut!

11. BakPak New Member

What about the plug and play chips like a Bluefin for example?

12. Toyotec

I cannot say for generic maps.

13. BakPak New Member

I noticed the clutch is cable operated which is ok but not as nice as the hydraulic clutch, is it still a DMF, or a SMF?

14. BakPak New Member

I'm not used to seeing the gear selector cables!!

15. BakPak New Member

Ok it's no rocket but I have become "let me pass now I'm in a golf you fool".
    Absolutely brilliant car just very lethargic off the line.

16. BakPak New Member

What do you think of the wheels? I will eventually get some 18's gti style but I don't think these look too out of place! The Pirellis have 5mm of tread left.
    I ordered some AP suspension from DPM which is 30mm lower than standard, hopefully it will arrive next week. I fitted the same to my old Audi and it was brilliant for the money.
    After that's done it's time to find more power. I ran a dose of forte through half a tank and it has improved pick up midrange but from a standstill it's embarrassing really.
    Why can't I post a picture?

17. BakPak New Member

Can anyone explain why I can't post pictures?

18. Break Forum Member

im not sure if you have to have a number of posts to show them, but i doubt it.

you can share links anyway, if the last bit is obvious ignore it :p

first you find the file, host it online some where, then link it using the image tags \ button

19. BakPak New Member

Hello guys,
    The clutch is a bit snatch and grab off the mark which I hate even if it lasts for a while. I'm doing 800 miles a week and it's annoying especially as it has moped mode only off the line. Bearing in mind I will be boosting the power in due course would a standard LUK clutch be ok? I've heard they are good. Suspension should be here next week!

20. BakPak New Member

The horn sounds like it belongs on Noddy's car and I want to change it but I've had a mooch around and can't find it. Can someone tell me where it is please?
    Thanks Mark.