BakPak's TDI

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by BakPak, Apr 10, 2016.

1. BakPak New Member

Suspension has arrived and I have a wee concern about the offset once it's lowered 30mm. The wheels are 56et and I fitted 20mm spacers so the tyres are out there. I know the tyre size is wrong, 235/45/17. Do you think I might have a problem with the new suspension?

2. BakPak New Member

This forum is sooo quiet.
    A mate of mine can do this for 175 cash.
    Around 35-40 BHP increase and around 80 - 90 nm torque increase and depending on driving conditions you can see upto 18-22% increase in better fueling

Sounds good to me!

3. BakPak New Member

Good news suspension fitted and it drives great, very pleased.
    However I have learned about the common conrod problems with the BXE engine. What a disappointment VW!
    I bought the car because of the low miles and naturally expecting bomb proof reliability from the 1.9 engine.
    Are there any modifications to reduce this failure? Also can the sump be removed with the engine in situ and can the shell bearings be replaced? Basically how much work can be done without removing the engine?
    Thanks and I would appreciate hearing about any problems experienced with the BXE engine.

4. BakPak New Member

I guess you chaps are all petrol heads and not interested in diesel?

5. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Hey
    Glad to hear you are enjoying the car and the new suspension. How did you get on with your concerns re: wheel offset?

With ref to the common conrod problems. I cant say for sure if this is all true, but this is something that shouldn't fail on a well maintained standard engine, so the common complaint on the internet could indicate there is a concern. However, if your car has done 95k without issue, I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep it well serviced, use quality oil and filters.

Other than replacing the conrods and bearings themselves, I don't think any particular mod will reduce the chance of failure. By the sounds of what people complain of on the forums, sometimes its the bearings, sometimes its the gudgeon pins that let go.

I personally would save the effort/cost and just run the car as is, keep it well maintained and show it mechanical sympathy (don't red line the pants off it everywhere you go!). If it does eventually go bang, then at the time decide whether to fix (replace with a different bottom end) and keep or cut your losses.

I'd also be wary of any cheap remaps, as any misfires or pinking/predetonation would increase the chance of damaging the internals.

6. BakPak New Member

Hi bud,
    Thanks for the reply. The wheels are fine just a bit of slight rubbing when I drive through a dip in the road. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to post any pictures. If Admin read this perhaps you could help please?
    I'm 47 but when I get attached to a car I become a 17 year old with ocd! The standard vinyl steering wheel was hideous so that has been replaced with a leather wheel. LED bulbs here and there and a Bluetooth stereo and a dash cam (wicked bit of kit).
    I'm trying not to think about the engine issues. I've decided to change oil and filter every 5000 miles (Castrol Edge and Mann filter). I fitted a K&N air filter element which definitely seems to improve induction. Not going to remap the engine now for obvious reasons.
    The rear wiper needs removing to re-position it but I can't use a conventional wiper arm puller because the washer jet. Any ideas please?
    Think I've got it with pictures lol! I'll post some later.

7. BakPak New Member

Here we go!

Attached Files:

8. K7aus

K7aus Paid Member Paid Member

I think you can replace the rods with older ASZ rods and this solves the problem.

Im sure there will be some solution on the internet?

Tidy motor BTW!

9. BakPak New Member

Thanks bud. I don't think the wheels look too bad considering they are off an A3 and the 20mm spacers push them out a bit.
    Regarding the engine I decided not to have any mods done. Just hope I get a few years use before the big bang!

10. K7aus

regular oil changes with correct pd oil will help. I would stick with Quantum Platinum every 10,000 miles (max) possible every 5000 miles if your really concerned........

Get yourself a nice double din DAB head unit.... it will make the interior a nicer place to be.

Edit:

Just checked with http://castrol-tps.lubricantadvisor.com/default.aspx?lang=eng

and as its BXE engine it may have DPF, in which case you cannot use Quantum Platinum and need to use Longlife III

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  11. BakPak New Member

Is Castrol Edge ok, I thought it was THE oil for the engine? I've just bought another 4 litres from ECP on one of their 25% discount deals.
    I like the single DIN space for the shades dude.

WP_20160603_16_36_35_Pro.jpg

12. BakPak New Member

Sorry to be dumb but what is and where is the DPF?

13. BakPak New Member

100k, leather steering wheel and a Garmin and the clever dash cam. Gadget Golf.

Attached Files:

14. K7aus

Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL is ok to use like

https://www.engineoildirect.co.uk/5w-30-castrol-edge-4l

DPF is the diesel particulate filter that lives in the exhaust system.

Taken from VW Website:
    Our advanced diesel engines are much cleaner than older engines. Their diesel particulate filters (DPF) are very effective in cutting emissions, trapping even the finest soot particles produced as the engine burns diesel fuel. The result is a cleaner environment as less pollution enters the atmosphere. The latest generation of filters operate without additives. This makes them maintenance-free for a long time: an initial inspection is not usually carried out until after 90,000 miles. Their lifespan is dependent on factors such as fuel quality, driving style, use and oil consumption. The filter uses a catalytic coating containing precious metals. Passive regeneration converts the particulate matter contained in the catalytic converter into CO2. This process takes place at temperatures between 350 and 500 C and can run continuously, particularly if you drive your car mainly on long runs.

15. BakPak New Member

Hello everyone,

Well the golf has been brilliant and covered 12,000 miles since I bought it in March. Never had it chipped so it is still standard.
    I've had enough of driving all over the place for work so I started a new job 2 weeks ago. My concern though is my new place of work is only 1.5 miles away so the engine never gets warm. Obviously I will give it a good drive at weekends, but do I need to worry about it not warming up during the week?
    Thanks, Mark.

16. K7aus

No it will be fine as long as you do the occasional long hard drive

17. BakPak New Member

Hi all and them,
    I'm taking the plunge and r32 is on the radar.

18. BakPak New Member

What's the crack with the DSG ?

19. BakPak New Member

Merry Christmas chaps ???

20. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Merry Christmas (belated ) and a happy new year.
    DSG - make sure it's had the DSG oil and filter serviced every 40k miles. If not, then walk away.