BAM in Mk2 hits master cylinder

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by dUff, Oct 17, 2009.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the hydro clutch takes off from the fluid bottle not the master.

for the master cylinder the easiest option is find the one with 2 or 4 M10 threaded ports then the 2 original lines fit straight on, then you cap off any spare m10/12 with bungs if you have any. the M12 ones will require new ends on the lines or you can probably get an inline adaptor from somewhere?

apart from that they're all much of a muchness so as long as its the right stubby design you're fine. but as I say, get the right kit of brackets first and see how the clearance is before you spend out on a new servo/master

2. Todd Motto Forum Member

You mean the hydro clutch needs that fluid bottle near the pedal? Sorry my knowledge is limited on hydraulic clutches/plumbing.

With fitment I was told the car has VR6 Front suspension and hubs (widetrack 5x100 fitment). So it should fit okay with the new bracket. At the moment its a bit close if not I’ll have to make some adjustments. Either way I need a new servo for the car so I’ll have to make it work [:D]

3. rubjonny

you either have a seperate bottle for the clutch master or you get a mk3/corrado/passat bottle whith fluid take off. if you look at most modern VW/SEAT from the late 90s you often find they have the nipple but capped off

4. Todd Motto Forum Member

Okay that makes so much more sense. I’ll use a MK3 reservoir then and feed the hydraulic clutch that way - perfect!! You’re a legend sir.

do you happen to know if all MK1 Ford master cylinders are the same? Besides when they swapped from 2 to 4 ports. I can’t find any info and searching there don’t seem to be any variants. Am buying it new so wanted to confirm before I “pull the trigger” :-)

5. Todd Motto Forum Member

P.S. do you happen to know what bolts I need for the engine mounts? Are they generic ones that can be purchased or the newer style stretch bolts VW supply. Cheers

6. rubjonny

there are several versions of the ford fitted ones, m12, m10 and a mixture of the 2. ideally you want at least 2 m10 holes on the driver side of it for an easy life as I say then the mk2 lines will fit right in

you can use the original bolts :)

7. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

I think mk1 focus used 2 master cylinder types, abs and non abs, but I can't remember off top of head which it was, but it had 2 m12 ports and 2 m10 ports on it, used 2 m12 bleed nipples to blank the unused ones.
    With a mk3 master cylinder on top which fed my hydraulic clutch system.

I'll see if can find which cylinder was needed.

8. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Think it was with abs, as the st170 has it, non abs uses a longer master cylinder. Screenshot_20230110-223414_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20230110-223442_eBay.jpg