Batch edit photos

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by mat-mk3, Aug 26, 2012.

1. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

So i have just taken a load of images of the golf after a quick clean, However they look great on the camera, Crap on the actual computer....As always

Opening the odd one and editing the brightness & contrast it looks like i can make some good photos out of them.
    I have tested a few and it looks like if i turn the brightness by 80% and the contrast down by 50% they all look ok.
    Is there a piece of software where i can do this in a batch? It seems like a simple request to melol

Cheers
    Mat

2. stella

stella Forum Junkie

What are you using to edit them, Mat? Can be done in PhotoShop and Lightroom.

What did you take them with? Phone/camera/decent camera? And did you remember to move the car once you'd washed it, before you took your pictures, or is it standing in a tell-tale puddle of suds? ;)

3. mat-mk3

I used photoshop to test the settings, can you do it all at once in photoshop? I don't fancy opening each one separately.
    They were taken with a decent camera, but I forgot to change the save mode to raw & jpg so I only have the HQ jpg. It's massive and good quality so will be fine to edit.

And yes I did move the car, nice dry conditions but under the car is very dark. With the black sills and black wheels it's just very black so you can't make out the difference in the car & Tarmac!
    They are much better when edited.

4. mat-mk3

Well today i learnt how to create a photoshop action and batch edit a load of photos. Thanks stella[:D]

5. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Such a handy feature. You can watch it work whilst having a cuppa lol

6. stella

stella Forum Junkie

You did it all yourself, so well done. (Learning PS takes forever, and now I've got to start all over again with Lightroom!)

So now you have some good photos, are we going to get to see them?

7. mat-mk3

Posted a selection in my build thread, However dont get your hopes up on them being a masterpiece. Its run out of MOT so could not take it anywhere!lol

Hmm, Those images should be clickable but the forum is reducing them down. Mental note to look at thumbnails tomorrow...

8. richwig83 Forum Member

Actions can be very useful.

If you shoot RAW and open multiple RAW files in Photoshops, then you can "batch adjust" them in the Adobe Camera Raw window which pops up on start up.

9. mat-mk3

I didn't see the point in RAW for me TBH.
    I dont ever do anything with the raw picture and just use the jpg mostly. Plus it takes about 5 seconds for my camera to save a RAW.
    I was shooting with RAW but lack the experiance to know how to make the pictures look any good.

10. browner01 New Member

never got batch editing... its not going to do your images any justice if you are editing them off just one.... each pic has its own levels of brightness, contrast etc. so if you want the best out of them you should edit them individually.

this is a pic i took which was very dary when i uploaded it. but after about 5 mins of editing it came out really well.

[​IMG]

11. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Nice picture, nice cars, browner :-) I'm not sure what the red one is - Karmann Ghia, perhaps. Looks fab.

I am wary of batch editing, just in case (and certainly not with wedding pictures) but it has its place. If you took a lot of pics in the same place/time, then the ambient lighting etc will be similar enough for you to batch edit them altogether if you're adjusting levels/curves/brightness/etc. You also get a choice of what details you wish to use in the batch job by putting in/removing ticks, so you're not obliged to apply ALL changes to the btach processing.

12. blis Forum Member

http://www.irfanview.com/

While it may look like a crude application, it's a very useful tool and purpose built. Anyone into still photography and time lapsed video will have this app in their kit of goodies.