Berg-Cup style 1300 16vs

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mk1 driver, Sep 11, 2005.

1. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

How much would it cost to build a mild 1300 16v rev happy go kart?

I've seen a one or two adverts on the beg-cup site and one brief spec listed the following:

1298cc
    Bore 82.8 Stroke 60.1
    725kgs
    185PS at 10,500rpm

The block used must be one from a 1043cc found in Mk2 Polo's? As it has a bore of 75.0mm and stroke of 59.0mm, whereas a Mk1 1.3 has a bore of 75mm and stroke of 72mm.

What would be the limit of a standard 1043cc engine crank, I'm sure someone mentioned in a thread a while ago that the smaller, older VW engines are quite over engineered for there application?

Is it the head from a 1.4 16v 6N Polo? Custom length belt? What about valve timing due to the mismatch of head and block heights? (if any?)

Would there be a lot of work involved in getting the 1400 head onto the 1000 block, or is blocking up of water/oil galleries fairly easy for someone in the know to do if it doesn't just bolt up?

Cam specs I've seen are up in the 320's, I cant see these being cheap, any idea of prices?

Can a milder set of cams and stiffer, stronger valve springs be used (depending on cam spec) to enable the use of say 8500rpm-9000rpm? If not, how much would it cost to convert to solid lifters on a 1400 16v head?

For a gearbox, the shortest 5 speed box I can think of is that from a Polo GT, or are there any shorter 5 speed 'boxs? Or can you use final drives from other gearboxes in the Polo GT 'box to make the gears closer?

1043cc block bored and slightly stroked to produce 1298cc, high compression pistons, worked 1400 16v Polo 6N head, 280 region cams, 8500rpm, GSXR throttle bodies, MegaSquirt management... :lol:

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Dogwood will know the answers to this one.

In the meantime, guess on one-off steel cranks, and sequential gearboxes. Schrick will be one source of cams / valve gear.

3. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I hope he sees this thread then. :)

Steel internals... eekness but at the same time the only logical route to go if touring for mega revs.

It would be good to know if anyone has any facts or figures of how far you can take the standard engine internals before they start to wobble about.

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Oh, those cars are serious machines. No one else spends on Mk1 Polos/Audi 50s like they do from anything else I've seen.

Std engine internals? Assume 7.5k rpm max.

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Have a look at Sorg motorsport and/or find some old posts from jbmg40 about these litte screamers :)

6. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I could imagine them being well over 25k for the whole lot new, bodyshell, suspension, brakes, gearbox and engine. Crazy Germans. :lol:

I was wondering if anything could be put together on a lower level and budget so to speak...

Would there be any British club sport level championships that such a car could be entered into? Do you know any of hand Chris?

7. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

The '100bhp/litre 1300' thread.

Now the 1043 bored upto 1300 or there abouts will retain a low stroke and will have a larger bore, would this allow the rev limit of an ordinary 1.3/1.3 GT - with the longer stroke (say if it was about 7.5k max revs), to be increased due to the shorter stroke, or would it still be the same?

Looks like the 6N head might be alright for 8k if keeping it hydraulic? (maybe with the addition of stronger springs to be on the safe side)

Limit of 1043cc crank anyone?

This sounds nice: http://www.86c.de/clubautos/thorstenjohn/beschleunigung.mpg :p

8v mind...

8. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

9. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

10. mk1 driver Forum Junkie