Bigger Alternator Amp on DX Engine

Discussion in '8-valve' started by bmouthboyo, Jul 23, 2016.

1. bmouthboyo Forum Member

Can anyone advise on what alternators I can use on my DX engine which is in my VW T25 Campervan?

At Present it is a 65Amp:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers for any help guys :thumbup:

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You can use a 90 Amp job as well.

3. bmouthboyo Forum Member

Are their downsides to a bigger alternator? More engine strain? Fuel economy?

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

We use a 90A on the rally cars to drive the forward facing spots. Extra weight, wears out the fanbelt quicker, more inertia to spin up, have to beef up the output cable, apart from that no issues
    Jon

5. bmouthboyo Forum Member

Is there a model number I need to look for to be compatible with my DX engine?

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

look at mk1/2 golf 1.6-1.8 with aircon or some diesel engines, also various passat and audi from the 80s and 90s use the same setup :)

if it helps, some 90a part numbers for ya: 026903015B, 068903017P & PX, 026903017B & BX, 037903181, 049903027, 049903027A, 035903017AX, 068998329, 026903023

7. Toyotec

^^*X* in part number suffix means 'exchange' and is unlikely to show on the part, but would show as such in an online catalogue. This can lead to a useless hunt for the enthusiasts who did not have a clue in the first place.
    The Bosch part number is a safer bet, however from experience, as I have to hunt for similar for customers in the past, parts such as alternators can be identified, by the era of 8v they are fitted to and by the tag that shows the maker and current rating.

8. rubjonny

aye I know, this is why I mention P as well as PX for example so you could search for both, and know either are valid if you found one or the other. plus theres a shed load of other part numbers to look for. was just posted as a reference to compare any that were found. You often find 2nd hand exchange parts on ebay for example

9. Toyotec

I took that into account when I commented.
    Part numbers need to match the actual visual of the part, else they are no good to anyone.

10. bmouthboyo Forum Member

Can anyone advise, I decided to go with another 65A and won one on eBay that is a Hella 049903017c described as OK for Mk1 Gti.

Will this work with my Kjet DX engine?

When I Google about it does not list my current alternator part number as a replacement for it. Will it fit and work?

11. rubjonny

This one is listed for 1.5-1.8 mk1/mk2/cab/rocco up to about 1985 so should fit fine. only thing you need to check is the power cable connections on the back vs the loom on your car. The early ones have a 3 pin spade type plug, later ones have a couple ring terminals. vw-classic.co.uk supply new alternator looms for both styles so no worries either way :)

bmouthboyo likes this.