Bike Carb Conversion - Dummies Guide :)

Discussion in '16-valve' started by phil northwich, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Cornishpiglet New Member

Nice thread Thanks

2. phil northwich Forum Member

Hi guys, sorry but I haven't been on this page for ages :s Since doing this conversion I have done a shell swap which is almost finished. If anybody is interested in that they can see it here - http://sciroccoregister.co.uk/carforum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13453&start=30

Below are some answers to some questions / thanks

Exhaust - I have had a standard 16v mk2 Golf down pipe fabricated to fit. I am however changing this in the new year for a stainless 4 branch. If you are interested in my current down pipe then give me a shout :) I then had a customer stainless made at Powerflo in Crewe. It is from the down pipe back and is straight through to back box. Only cost me 190 :)
    dizzy - Standard 16v dizzy, I will be changing the cap soon though to give me some clearance around the brake servo etc.
    Air Filters - Just RAM Air foam socks - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-RAMAI...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f423ba2fd
    Clips - Thanks for the info on fuel line clips and silicone clips. I didn't realise there were different ones :s I will get some ordered up.

Cheers

3. Bigben156 New Member

Hello all. I want to put bike carbs on my rocco 1.8 8v, great post this as an example, I have fzr600 carbs, I've been told that I don't nessessarily need them re jetted is that true? Also been told that I don't actually need air filters on these. Do I need the oil catch can there? And would I not be able to use the standard mechanical fuel pump that mine was built with?

4. sports racer Forum Member

Why wouldn't you need air filters? How would you keep out the engine destroying crap that gets thrown up by the car in front or dust from roadworks?

5. The ANT Forum Member

Exactly, unless you planning to rebuild the engine regularly, no air filters is a bad idea. The air we are driving through is full of muck, dust, flies, etc. You're not building a gran prix qualifying engine are you?

6. sackmcgannay New Member

i know this is an old thread but need some help with a few last snags in my bike carb conversion.

ive got yamaha r1 carbs on kr head ..

first problem is with the accelerator cable: ive got the carb end sorted fine but the problem is at the pedal end of things.
    ive bodged the cable onto original mount of pedal so everythings attached and ready to go but when i press the pedal the pedal travel is so
    very short.
    Anyone found this a problem before and got any advice please? .. I thought possibly cutting a section out the top of the pedal arm and welding back together making it shorter
    ..not sure how to explain it but so a bigger movement on lower arm of pedal makes less movement on upper arm?

The other issue is the revs dont drop down quick enough when you take foot off pedal.. this is nothing to do with the cable problem above though.
    i think there is some kind of return spring on the carbs and its not strong enough or missing? there is a place you could attach a spring connecting throttle return to a bracket mounted off rocker cover bolts ?

Sorry ive not got any photos to put up right now but can do in a few days.

Any advice much appreciated

7. hendrik6073 New Member

hi, i use R1 carbs on my oldtimer car. came across this post. I wonder what fuelpump you use on youre setup, what pressure is save to use. ? I use a standard 0.3 bar inline pump. Do not know exact how much liter this pump does per hour. problem is that at constant speed (about 130 km/h) it seems i suck dry the carbs. So i am searching for a pumo that has the right pressure and give's enough fuel.

thanks !