Bilstein B8 with standard springs

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by MJA, Jul 30, 2020.

1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,
    I have contacted Bilstein about this but got a bit of a generic response saying all their dampers are made to work with stock springs. I thought this was a bit odd as the B8 dampers are shorter than stock to accomodate lowering springs.

I'm in two minds and think I want to put the standard springs back on my car (the Corrado VR, not the Mk2) but am unsure if the B8s will work properly. The dampers came as part of a B12 kit with eibach springs. Just wondering if there are any suspension geniuses out there that could advise on whether or not this would work well - would it be better than say 4 new b4 stock shocks? B6s seem the right choice for this but would rather not spend out if the B8s would work well and they've only done about 2k.

Cheers
    Matt

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I drove one on b8s, with 30mm lowering springs, and it drove beautifully.

3. MJA

Yeah it does drive fine and is probably the most compliant upgraded suspension out there for the corrado.

It is just i am moving to the countryside and considering going back to stock height to handle the single track and rutted country lanes.

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

It was in the West of Ireland where I drove it!

5. MJA

Ha! To be fair I havent driven mine since February as it has been in the bodyshop waiting and now near completion.

6. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

If you take a look on page 29 of the Bilstein Brochure it actually says B8's are suitable for "series production sports suspensions". But practically they should work fine, although I would imagine it would be a fair bit harder to get the springs to fit because you would have to compress them more. You can also compare the spring rates of the stock springs and the Eibach ones to see how similar they are. (Should be in the TUV certficate)

MJA likes this.