Brake upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Ballan, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Ballan Paid Member Paid Member

I've recently been offered a full front brake set up from a mk6 Golf R. Has anyone on here got any idea if I can fit this on the mk3? Discs would be main issue I think, in regards to stud pattern.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Not the usual route that is taken regarding brakes.
    You also did not state which MK3 it is and if it is modified and what it is used for.

3. Ballan Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry, it's a 8v gti. Not much done yet but since I got offered the set up for nothing I'd see what the options are. Would like to upgrade to an 1.8t in the next year.

4. Ballan Paid Member Paid Member

Anyone?

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Could be made fit but not easily. For an 8v gti, a set of VR6 esque front brakes, braided lines and good pads would be more than enough, and still cheap.

6. beetie

beetie Forum Member

You'll probably need custom caliper carriers. Plus if a mk3 8v hub is like a mk2 8v then the carrier is built in, so may need to switch to 16v or vr6 hubs.
    Hopefully someone will know a bit more than me regarding the mk3

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

a mk3 gti 8v already has 280mm brakes if pre-96, or 288 if post-96 same as what the 16v and VR6 of similar age would have. so they're pretty good as they are, I would see how you get on once the system has been refurbished then worry about upping brake performance later

8. 8bitAl Forum Member

If it's free, take it sell it and put the money towards some new disks, performance pads and braided hoses.

Bleed the brakes through with new fluid and bobs ya teapot.

Alex. :)

Toyotec and Nige like this.
  9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

^^What he said :thumbup:

10. Ballan Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for the replies. Ended up with new discs and pads anyway for mot.

11. Jja081196 New Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread guys but I thought it would be better than starting a new one AND I finally learned to use the search function!;)

I've just started sizing up my 312mm Brakes for my Mk3 Gti 8v. I'll be using Audi tt 312mm Calipers, Carriers, Discs & Pads.

I have recently renewed the wheel bearings and hub centres and have now come to start fitting the brakes but didn't even get to bolting a carrier to the hub assembly, I sat an old 288mmX25mm disc on that I had kicking about to make sure the wheel bearing span nicely but found that the bolting point for the caliper carrier on the wheel bearing housing assembly is rubbing the back of the disc both sides of the car. This didn't happen before changing out the new wheel bearings and hub centres.

so basically what I'm asking is, has anyone heard of this problem before, if so how did you resolve it? I'm not convinced that anything is bent because its all too consistent across both sides of the car. I read some write ups on the upgrade before committing to it and they mention using spacers to space the caliper and carrier but nothing is mentioned about the disk catching the hub assembly. currently i'm considering that the 5mm thickness difference between the original discs (288x20mm) and the 312x25mm discs could be the cause but how come nobody else has had issues???

any ideas would be appreciated guys! I've been tearing my hair out!

Jake

12. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

What year is your car?

13. Jja081196 New Member

1995 With Abs - also after another bit of research I found the 288mm discs are 25mm so should fit anyway[8(]

14. rubjonny

pics of everything? are you sure its a mk3 288mm disc you have and not one from something else? the mk3 288mm disc is pretty much flat:
    [​IMG]

15. Jja081196 New Member

Hi John

Im using a 288mm disk from a Mk4 Golf - I have some Mk3 280mm ones on order as they are what came standard just so I can eye the gap up then Ill return them if the gapping is okay but my plan is to go to 312mm TT discs Im just hoping they are flat the same as Mk3 discs and will fit like people have said, Ive got a photo to show you what Im working with but being that Im on my phone Im not sure how to go about uploading it

Cheers
    Jake

16. rubjonny

aha! mk4 discs are deeper. MK3 288, 28mm depth:
    [​IMG]

mk4 288, 34mm depth:
    [​IMG]

MK4 312, also 34mm depth:
    [​IMG]

I guess the 312mm discs are OK as they have a bigger hole round the back so it clears the bearing carrier, if that makes sense. heres a good thread on it:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?26274

17. Jja081196 New Member

John, Ive said it before but Ill say it again, you are a life saver, where do you find all these drawings!!? Im hoping the 312mm disks will fit????

18. rubjonny

I google image searched the VW part numbers, picked some decent clear drawings from various parts websites [:)

theres plenty threads including the link above showing that the 312mm stuff goes on fine with a spacer for the carrier, as I say its probably fine because the 312 disc has a wider hole on the back face than the 288 so it clears the bearing carrier (129mm vs 135mm on the drawings above)

19. Jja081196 New Member

Right! For anyone who ever has an issue, dont use Mk4 discs, they dont fit because of the aforementioned hole in the back of the discs, the 312mm discs clear fine! So onwards with the build!