brakes

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by dan.h, Aug 6, 2011.

1. dan.h Forum Member

I'm looking to buy some brakes in the next month or two for my 4 stud Corrado. I was budgeting for the 300mm cupra r brembos but I remember reading some where that you mentioned that just the calipers are running at 500 quid each now. How much does the full setup run at now? Are there any other decent alternatives you would recommend? Budget wise maybe a bit over a grand but not a lot over. Looking at no bigger than 300mm as I run 16 inch wheels
    Thank-you

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

I will be breaking (braking?) a track car with the ideal setup you are looking for soon. pm me.

3. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

thanks Jon. this is Badger 5's section

305x28 option on one piece disks, and AP's perhaps..
    (IF) Jon's offer is'nt what you are after let me know

4. dan.h Forum Member

Hi bill would prefer to buy new really so what sort of price are they. Car is more a road car but may see the track a little bit. Are the ap's you suggest suitable for the road I.e. dust seals etc? What are the prices of pads like when they need replacing?
    Also in your opinion how do these and the brembos compare with each other?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

sorry, hadn't realised...

6. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

AP's I use are race, and have no dust seals.. That said, mine have been on my car when it was a road car over 7 years now and are perfect condition, no corrosion on pistons or anything..
    Brembo's are "thicker" calipers, have dust seals, but are a little more demanding on wheel spoke clearance than the slimmer race APs

The brembo GT style kit with 305x28 one piece disks are 940+vat as a guide price..
    AP's would be slightly more.. by about 150+vat

The AP pads are dearer than the brembo ones, 109 vs 135, but the AP pads are much thicker and longer.. so will last longer.

7. dan.h Forum Member

Thanks bill. The brembos sound like the ones for me with the dust seals then. I'll be in touch about them in the next month or so to get them ordered up.
    Cheers