Bucket seat sub frames - what have you done?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Hilux, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Hilux Forum Member

I have done a search but with no real luck so far but I have a set of bucket seats I`d like to install soon in a Mk1 1.8 8v.

I can weld so can make up a subframe however I wondered if anyone else had photos of seat subframes they have fitted, in particular I`d like the seats to be adjustable as my son will be driving it on track as well.

I thought of using the original seat subframe but wondered if it would tilt or raise the seat front too much (which is how I find the original seats)

Also if I dont use the original mounts will the front seat mount bracket `tube` that runs between the sill and the tunnel foul the ideal seat position by keeping it too far back? I am reluctant to remove it as I feel it braces the sills and tunnel and helps with side impact protrusion (bending of the sills)

Any ideas/photos will be appreciated very much

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

3. jamesa Forum Junkie

fyi .. but to be honest, this arrangement has the seat too high.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Hilux Forum Member

Mmmmmmmmmmm

That is high, it also suggests that if the seat is as low as possible it needs to be behind the front mount and set down onto the floor but the pedals and steering wheel will be too far away!

Thanks for the input (and photos) :thumbup:

5. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

James, thats what i need for my little legs and arms. :lol:

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Here's one I bought from Steve R on here (attached to a seat), and I'm in the middle of doing one based on a driver's seat, which will keep the height adjustment (so I can sit lower when wearing a helmet).

Basically, take a standard seat base for the correct side.

Cut the pan out of it, and weld bars across, to line up with the holes in the base of your seat. I think this one has had a bit more than that - the side bars seem to have been cut and welded to straighten them. It probably depends on the width of your seat as to whether you need to do that.

[​IMG]

Here's the pre-90 spec driver's base before chopping, but with the cushion off (obviously).
    [​IMG]

and after chopping the extra bits off. I may remove the front bar later, once it's welded up. I've got some 4mm angle iron for that job.
    [​IMG]

The advantage of this is it gives the tilt and slide, and ease of removal of the original VW seat. Ideal if you use the car with and without a helmet, or if you have people of different sizes who drive it.

The disadvantage is it will weigh about 6kg when the bars are welded on. With a light seat bolted to it, it'll still be lighter than the standard VW seat though.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  7. jamesa Forum Junkie

I`m 5`10" and too many stone - the determining factor on seat location was the clutch operation - that then determined the steering wheel type / dish. I made an error with the height [:$] but would only drop it an inch or maybe two.

I had previously used the same seat on a Recaro (adjustable) subframe but found it lacking in ultimate security of location - as pointed out by an MSA scrutineer !

The position is comfortable and provides extremely good leverage - useful for the sprints & hillclimbs plus OK for circuits - I`m not the on the floor & laid back type anyway.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  8. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Interesting thread - I was going to post one asking similar advice. I need to alter the drivers bucket seat mounting in my Mk2 track car to allow my wife to drive it.

I have previously altered the subframes, which I think are generic Demon Tweaks ones to set the seat a bit lower so I could fit in with my helmet on as I'm 6' 2" tall. That worked well and the forward / back adjustment is fine for me or other drivers from about 5' 6" upwards, also lowered the steering column to suit.

My wife is only 5' 0" tall and needs the seat to go further forwards but also height adjust upwards obviously so I want to achieve this adjustment without sacrificing the low seating position which suits me.

My current subframes look like this:

[​IMG]

I wonder if something like Mike H suggests above would work ok, I have a hacksaw, grinder and welder so fabricating something isn't a problem. Anyone got a spare standard drivers seat height adjustable base they don't need? :)

My wife used to be ok driving my previous Mk2's with the standard seat adjusted all the way up and forward so I'd think this would give sufficient movement for a decent driving position though it'd add a little weight of course.

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

It depends on whether the standard frame solution gives you enough height when you're wearing a helmet. You'd have to try it to see if you can get low enough.

Have you taken the sunroof out to get extra headroom? This is on my list too. I'm 5'10" but I'm a long back/short legs sort of shape, so need a fair bit of height.

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Polo MK3 base would be better to start with, its lower than MK2 and still fits.
    well, the height adjust ones do! the non height ones have rear legs at wrong angle, so need a bit of bending to fit properly. What I did weairng my Captain Bodger costume was slide the rear legs into my rails, then push the seat backwards, repeat till the legs bend enough so that the front slides in :thumbup:

The non height ones are still low and dont have the height adjust mech so prob a fair bit lighter?

edit: Pretty sure MK2 Polo ones will be same, but have the forward/back lever on the right side for MK1 floorpan if you get one old enough :)

edit2: MK3 Polo GT frames are the same design as MK2 Golf pre-90 seats, just FYI. I used one to make my MK2 GTI seat sit lower, all the fabric n foam swapped right on! The non-GT ones are same as boggo MK2 Golf, i.e. no boulster frame.

11. LTU282Y New Member

Does any one use these with sidemounts? There on ebay but there is no mention of dimensions / height etc... just that they will fit a mk2 which i assume will fit a mk1 as well.

[​IMG]

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

I think the same holds true for Scirocco Mk2 or Corrado seats - that they fit and sit a bit lower.

Captain Bodger....TO THE RESCUE!!!

...you should have that as your sig, RJ - can't wait to see the costume ;)

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

[​IMG]

Yeah rocco/rado seats also a good base, but im guessing mk3 polo seats could be cheaper especially base model. that and the MK3 polo ones are a direct swap for a mk2 if you want to keep the oem seats, though off topic in this thread :)

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

I saw it as less superhero... more oily overalls, flat cap, big hammer, and a fag hanging out of the corner of his mouth ;)

There are plenty of sciroccos being broken these days, often with a knackered driver's seat that can be had free, or for peanuts.

15. c8dhc Forum Member

I have modified a pair of original subframes.

I am 6'2", have a rollcage fitted, and don't hit the roof when wearing a helmet.

Should be taking them out soon so will try to get pics.

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

Cool - be good to have some more examples.

17. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Haven't got the seats anymore but I used to have some recaro's in my driver on 2 subframes.
    original that slides back and forwards and tilts and a different one on top that slides back and forwards.
    The point was you tilt the seat then slide the top subframe back or forwards to get the height you want, then slide the original one back or forwards to get the right distance from the pedals.
    Worked perfect and you could sit that low yer bum was actually at sill level.
    I'm 6ft2 and had the best part of a ft of space above my head with that setup.

18. Hilux Forum Member

Made this so far. I`ll weigh it and let y`all know.

[​IMG]

See here for full details

1)I can retain the OEM seat belts (harnesses are a pain in daily driving) but properly and safely use them ie: through the lap strap holes
    2) The seat/frame is readily removeable
    3) A different type of seat is easily mounted to it
    4) Its adjustability and adaptability means any seat mounted to it will be the right height and position for whoever is driving it so they should last a few years.

The fact that the rear bar is 'hinged' and can pivot ensures the seat belt bolt engages in the ratchet for this is what holds you in on the centre tunnel side and is crucial for this to work as the original seat did.

I have a few refinements to make when I do the drivers side but has anyone any thoughts - I dont mind being criticised if any of you engineers out there see a flaw?

19. jamesa Forum Junkie

Good work - be interested to see how much slack - movement you get in the runners etc when the seat is in place.

Good luck with the project - look forward to further updates :thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  20. W1M

W1m Forum Member

I have these fitted but without the sidemounts, works well for me!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]