Bucket seat sub frames - what have you done?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Hilux, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Hilux Forum Member

I altered the drivers side in that the side arms are longer so the seat is therefore slightly higher.

[​IMG]

Decided not to use standard mounts as the lap belt angle rearwards is too much - so as I wanted to use either seat belts or harnesses (harnesses are a real pain in everyday use) so I fabricated 60 x 80 x 3mm plates and welded 7/16" UNF nuts to the back and then installed them by bolting them to the twin skin tunnel side and spot/filler welding in place.

[​IMG]

I welded in 90 x 75 x 3mm plates to the cills with 7/16" captive nuts welded at the back. You can see the original seat belt mount to the right - too steep an angle for seat belts or harnesses to work with bucket seats (lap strap angle should be around 20 - 30 degrees)

[​IMG]

The original seat belt was fixed to the seat mount and engaged in a dogtooth when the belt tensioned. This stopped the rear seat runners moving forward. To ensure this was retained I welded an extra bit on the wedge top to elongate it, positioned the seat where I wanted it, engaged the wedge in the dog tooth recess and wedged the rear bar in position by bolting through to side of the seat rail thereby spreading/wedging the bar between the two rails. (I hope I never have to find out if it works)

Its an extra item to deal with when the seat is adjusted for another driver but its no big deal and much safer in my opinion.

[​IMG]

Install complete.

[​IMG]

2. mk28vICED Forum Member

read the fabrication bit too, very good work chap! love it!

3. drewbar Forum Member

Here's some pic's of some I made to fit my bucket seats recently. I started with corrado seat bases as they sit the lowest. I cut the **** out of them till they looked like this:

[​IMG]

I then fitted them to the car set the height and tacked them in the middle of the t piece where you'll find it hinge's

Then I built a box frame to suit my bucket seats and had it all pro welded together by Garry at GM Bodycraft and viola!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not pictured is the the refitting of the forward and backwards adjustment but its there, Height adjustment on the buckets is taken care of in the sidemounts.