Budget garage build

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by 1990, Jul 5, 2013.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Yes, back is good as new now thanks. The doctor gave me some Naproxen which probably helped but I went from being unable to put my socks on on Tuesday morning back to grafting on the Sunday. I'm on my way home from Anglesey now to finish loading the trailor.

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

looks like a great project, mate of mine had the same sort of garage built which had the planning people come around after it was built, it was just in the guild lines for none permission.

plan plan plan , you having a side door or one in the back? room for a work bench & stuff?

3. 1990

Windows on the side and a back door I can smash in if I loose the key.

I'm hoping it will be big enough for a big bit for the car and smaller bit at the back for a bench and our tent and stuff.

The trailor is going today then I need to get it all down 150mm ready for the concrete.

4. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Could you not put a shed up really close to the back of the garage, perhaps so you could line the doors up so you could go directly from the garage to the shed and keep all the "stuff" in the shed part ? I bet your Mrs could knock up a shed over a weekend.

5. 1990

She wants a big wooden playhouse behing the garage and wants the shed gone. That was part of the deal when she 'let me' build it lol

I've found out the 30mtrs is actually the floor area inside not the size of the building on the outside so i'm going to make it a bit longer, just over 8mtrs so i'm hoping the stuff will fit in neatly.

6. WillG

WillG Forum Member

lol

7. 1990

Lol

[​IMG]
    Concrete has now gone

8. 1990

I'm almost ready for the new concrete now. I'm going to ring the builder now and see if he will have a look then hopefully i'll be able to the reinforcing mesh on monday and the concrete on tuesday.
    [​IMG]

The pile of spoil is a bit bigger than I expected
    [​IMG]

The is how it looks from the road
    [​IMG]

9. 1990

Well it never happened lol

It ****ed it down all day monday, so tuesday I pulled the wall down to where I need it and spent the first money on it. 18 on some wood which is round the edge for the concrete to pour into and 154 on 33sq/mtrs of A252 8mm mesh reinforcement. Thats not coming till friday/monday and once thats in the concrete will cost 450.

10. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Looking good so far! :thumbup:

I know what you mean about the spoil coming out being greater than expected. 12 skips we filled during my mates garage-build (its on here somewhere), at 10+ tons each...!

My own garage is 6m x 5m, so obviously built with the 30sqm rule in mind. It's in danger though, since the missus decided she wants it gone so we can have a bigger garden.

Bonus is, she wants me to build a new one at the side of the house (from brick so it matches the house. Current is concrete panels), and having measured out the area she wants it in, it comes to 54sqm...result!

11. 1990

54, jesus!!! lol

Concrete's coming saturday morning!!
    [​IMG]

12. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Are you not dividing it up to allow for expansion?

How are gonna level it off with no acces on the fence side?

13. StuMc

Don't think it's big enough to warrant division...or at least the one I poured with my mate was bigger, single piece, and has had no issues.

Also with that one he had no access to one side either, and just walk backwards through it floating off as he went. Worked well.

In Ian's case though, those fence panels should come out easy enough for access, if needed.

14. 1990

I'm hoping the fence panels will come out easy but i've got my wellies ready anyway.

I've got a couple of rakes to get it something like level then a big float with a 5mtr pole on it so if I cant drag it level with a piece of wood i'll just have to get it best I can then work it with the float.

I've doubled up the mesh on all the corners since that photo was taken.

15. 1990

The fence panels came out easy, 1 was rotten.

I got 5mtrs delivered today and it was a perfect fit in the hole. Heres a couple of pics:

We poured it in and leveled it best we could, there was a barrow full left over in the truck
    [​IMG]

Then we pulled the wood along and filled in any low bits the the spare concrete in the barrow
    [​IMG]

Then when we got the thr end it looks pretty flat, there are a few puddles about 5mm deep but its flat enough for a garage.
    [​IMG]

And now its ****ing it down :(

16. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Good work. How long you leaving it to "go off" before the big build starts

17. 1990

Probably at least 2 weeks. I'm off to Cornwall camping for a week then I need to get the bricks and blocks and see when Holty (The bricky) can do it.

I'm still not sure on the roof and door. For the roof I was thinking of tiles but because the pitch will be quite flat I thought about the metal panels with a clear one every couple of meters to let light in. I'm not sure if that would make it noisy/drafty.

For the door I think a sectional, there wont be much room between the dorners of the door and the roof so I dont think a roller will fit and I cant have a normal type door because it will swing over the public footpath when it opens.

18. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I've got plastic covered metal sheets with clear ones every other and it's got loads of condensation :( but I never needs lights on in there during the day.

Fibre cement sheets would be better as they absorb moisture, but they can be broken easily to get in.

I've also got a roller on mine, I was going to apply for planning permission to raise the roof by 2 foot and about 2 foot deep to put the roller higher, but it goes high enough to get a car in and that's enough for me.

19. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

the slab looks good block work should fly up :thumbup:

20. StuMc

Rain won't stop the concrete going off (it doesn't "dry", it "cures"), but you might be left with loads of little raindrop craters if you don't cover it! ;)