- Buying an ex rally car -

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by rexy, Oct 25, 2003.

1. rexy New Member

Morning Guys/Gals

I've got the opportunity to purchase an ex rally car Grp N, Its been used for road rallies which are pretty competitive so it may of had a hard life. As i was going to strip my golf, cage it and stick a nice set of Coilovers on and use it as a play car this would be ideal but would it be a better idea to find one with a little less history and modify it to the spec I want?

Rex
    :p

Edited by: rexy

2. Bob Bulhat In Delete Queue

3. DarrenW Forum Junkie

Hmmm I guess it depends on the condition of the actual car I suppose. Road rallies aren't that hard on the shell compared to stage/forest stuff - most events are 90% tarmac and 10% fairly rough roads. Check the underneath for dents and chunks missing out of the sump if it hasn't got a guard, dings and scratches down the sides (some of those back roads are pretty narrow!!).

If the doors don't shut properly or it's obviously been stuffed heavily a couple of times then walk away!

4. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

I bought an ex rain x mk1 golf, it was a hell of a dog but the suspension was spot on and it went round coombe like it was on rails...all good fun...nice saftey devices cage and all the rest of the boll*ocks!

all good fun but wasnt really a nice car to drive on the road although it had to be road legal for that championship

5. pettsy Forum Member

if its a grp n rally car, i'd think it'll have to have fia approved cage and stuff,something that would cost mucho if you were building it from scratch.

presuming the car is straight,you've gotta work out if it'd cost you more to fit out a normal road car, or buy one with everytihng allready done!

6. road rally Forum Member

I'd check it over quite carefully, as DarrenW says ;) especially the underside/exhaust/ wheels/ obviously bent suspension/ bodywork.
    Also worth considering where the vendor is from....most of the scottish road rallies are more navigation biased for example, whilst the Derbyshire events tend to use rough roads to get a result, and are notorious for being hard on the car [:s]

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

8. Rallye Forum Junkie

cage looks a little half soaked

9. rexy New Member

nahh its one from round near me in bolton, I bought a mint mk2 instead. could be funn as a second car though lol