Can anyone label this sensors on my DX Engine? :)

Discussion in '8-valve' started by bmouthboyo, Jul 23, 2016.

1. bmouthboyo Forum Member

Hi Guys,

I have a DX Engine in my VW T25 Camper van and am looking to add some Audi VDO clocks for oil pressure and temp, and would also like a more accurate coolant temp gauge so I can keep an eye on things with the engine moving such a big lump!

Could anyone help me identify the sensors currently on my engine:

[​IMG]

3 - I think I currently use for the T25 temp gauge

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1 - coolant temp sensor for clocks
    2 - oil pressure 0.3bar
    3 - 2 pin is 5th injector thermoswitch other is coolant temp sensor for clocks
    4 - mfa oil temp sensor
    5 - oil pressure switch 1.8 bar

with 1 & 3 you have a mix of early side flange and late front flange. on the 1.6 GTI the dash temp sensor is in the side flange, and the 1.8 has it in the front flange. so pick which one you want to use and ignore the other :)

with 5 I'm pretty sure its the 1.8 bar pressure switch, your picture is a bit small! If its a white version of sensor 2 then thats what it is.

3. bmouthboyo Forum Member

Thanks a lot jenny :)

So where would I fit a oil pressure sensor (the barrel looking device lol)?

4. rubjonny

if its a 2 bar one it will replace one of your existing pressure switches, you just need to check the markings to see which one. 0.24/3 goes to the side of the head, 1.8 goes to the filter housing. if its single then you could replace the oil temp sender one if you dont have a gauge to run off it, if you do you'll have to get a T piece. the thread is M10x1 :)

5. bmouthboyo Forum Member

Sorry to dig this back up Jonny but I am back in the UK now so with my camper and DX engine :)

Can I ask what the difference between the 0.3 bar and 1.8 bar are? Why have 2 different switches for same purpose?

6. rubjonny

the 0.3 bar earths when pressure is NOT ok, this triggers just the light with ignition and at idle. the 1.8 bar switch earths when oil pressure IS ok, and triggers the light & warning buzzer when RPM is at 2k rpm and above :)

7. bmouthboyo Forum Member

Why would you need a warning light and buzzer to trigger if pressure is good above 1.8? Is that too high a pressure?

8. rubjonny

noooo :lol: it triggers if pressure is BAD at 2k and above :p