Car Audio MK2 Golf Gti

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Sean mursell, May 6, 2023.

1. Sean mursell New Member

Hi everyone I just wondered what car audio we have in their GTI’s. Mine has a Panasonic with cd autochanger. It’s working but old and very busy when operating. The car came with the old Panasonic tape player which is obviously not as busy and may be the original ? I would like an authentic looking unit that would do Bluetooth for phone and play music from my phone. I will probably do replacement speakers behind existing covers but head u it choice is tricky. I’ve seen the Blaupunkt Bremen but read it’s not the greatest quality, so what have you got ?

2. Matt Golf Forum Member

Hi there. I have a Bremen and yes the volume is a bit flimsy compared to the Blaupunkt's of old (they were rock solid).

But its not terrible and its connectivity plus period looks make up for it IMG_2524.jpg

harv1in10 likes this.
  3. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

Not exactly period or 'authentic' but I think the Alpine UTE-204DAB doesn't look too bad in my 91 GTi and is OK for the price I paid. I also put a small active sub under the passenger seat for some bass without losing boot space. Was a bit chilly when I took this photo!

2023-05 - george head unit for cgti.JPG

For older cars I prefer tape head units:

2023-05 - goldie head unit for cgti.JPG

Panasonic 473 mkII is period (I think) and works well - but no extra outputs for amps/sub etc.

2023-05 - grey head unit for cgti.JPG

I bought a Sharp RG-875E from eBay because I liked the EQ sliders but it's a bit smaller than standard head units and I still haven't worked out the best way to mount it properly / cover up the metal brackets on either side. Also needs specific connectors for power + speakers which was annoying to sort out. Again no extra outputs for other gear.

Sean mursell likes this.
  4. Sean mursell New Member

I like the look of the Bremen and it looks good in your picture. It’s a lot of money but I like the idea of the matching display colour

5. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

6. Sean mursell New Member

I agree - the Madrid is £85 which pretty much does what I need but only has a red display. I may have to just live with it for now lol

costel1969 likes this.
  7. Matt Golf Forum Member

Agreed. Its a rip off. I got it for my 50th. It was either the stereo or a weekend break with the wife. So I got the stereo of course.

8. Sean mursell New Member

Lol that’s funny.

9. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Check out the scene tax on that Bremen!

Got a Panasonic tape deck in mine, looks like it was a decent model in its day - motorised cassette eject, auto reverse, annoying beep when you turn the ign off

20220728_195322.jpg

Matt Golf likes this.
  10. Sean mursell New Member

That looks very similar to the one in a box in my boot - the Panasonic in mine now has a facia that slides down with a hidden tape deck and cd changer in the boot. It has loads of flashing lights which are showing like a. Equaliser at the bottom of the screen and it’s silver edged. Works fine although wired up wrong -doesn’t switch off with the ignition. I was just going to get that fixed and leave it but we will see I guess

11. costel1969

I have a Blaupunkt in mine but I'm not sure of the model (definitely not a Bremen...)

12. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm the age that I bought radio / cassettes new!

Probably the brand I'd the most of was Kenwood, still have one of them in the loft.

Just had a quick look and prices seem to be a bit more sane than for some other brands, plenty of choice too.

Will double check for you, but I'm 99% sure the display on mine can be switched between orange / green plus light background / dark numerals or dark background / light numerals in your chosen colour... don't know if that was maybe reserved for higher end models though.

I keep posting up links to this site, but it is good, if a little haphazard to navigate and might help identify sets that have green displays or are switchable.

This'll take you direct to the Kenwood page, but if you make the time to look around there's a ton of stuff on most of the other big name makers too.

http://antique-autoradio-madness.org/kenwwod/kenwood_1.htm

13. Sean mursell New Member

I have a Kenwood double din CarPlay set up in my van and it’s brilliant so I too like the brand. I just hadn’t looked at their single sim range, but I’ll check them out cheers

14. GTIBOB

GTIBOB Paid Member Paid Member

Interesting debate between original and current retro units. I upgraded to this JVC cd unit in 2000 and hooked it up to this 40w Audioline graphic equaliser (with left and right Chanel led power levels…..now you’re talking). So 23 years ago I did the unthinkable now and set two Pioneer speakers into the parcel shelf. So 4 speakers and 40watts for ‘Thunderstruck’ with cd quality.
    Now considerably older I’m considering reinstalling my original Panasonic radio/tape unit along with the equaliser as I’ve unearthed My old tapes recently.
    So in a bit of a dilemma ie. Sound quality or period looks???
    Personally and no offence intended I think seeking to fit retro Bluetooth units flys in the face of being in a classic car. Surely we can live without connecting to the iPhone whilst enjoying the drive in the Mk2. Just as wrong as fitting a Tesla motor in a GTI. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should……
    Sorry rant over

Attached Files:

15. Sean mursell New Member

16. Sean mursell New Member

Haha well this is my dilemma. Currently I don’t have any tapes and only about 10cds and up to now was just listening to the engine which isn’t unpleasant with the 16v engine and the nice Jetex exhaust. Speakers are original pots in the front doors and next to the parcel shelf - parcel shelf is intact. Radio from the bee sting is patchy and the original wing Ariel hole was welded and removed as part of a restoration years ago. So a blaupunkt basic unit for £85 to give me wireless radio and streaming with very much an older style appearance seemed like a reasonable step. I’m open to installing the Panasonic or leaving the replacement Panasonic unit that’s installed if I could improve radio quality. Only issue is it’s wired wrong as it stays on when ignition is off so I’m thinking change whilst wiring is being sorted. Completely get your point though but nowadays I’m more talksport than disco

17. costel1969

Fit whatever works for you - that's the main consideration. You could try one of those antennas that attach to the windscreen it might save a lot of faff with replacing aerials, cables etc.

18. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

My erm, “wireless”! 5B232D7C-F3B2-4ADC-B039-A2A2821DAC6A.jpeg

GTIBOB, costel1969 and Matt Golf like this.
  19. Sean mursell New Member

Looks great - if I had tapes I would be happy with that

20. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

I've one of those bluetooth 'cassettes' that allows you to stream music to a tape deck, cheap and cheerful but works a treat with the Philips I have in the 205

Trouble is it doesn't want to do it with the MK2s Gamma.

You've prompted me to look at things again and I'm probably going to replace it with the Kenwood.

You can get Kenwood specific bluetooth adaptors for small change that use the 13 pin CD input on the rear. It's hard wired (just a live and earth) instead of needing to be recharge periodically like the 'cassette' type

I've one on order so'll keep you posted if it works as promised.

When I was looking you can also get Kenwood specific connectors that allow you to plug straight into the brown / black VW factory speaker and power connectors.

The display does change colour as I thought, it's as simple as pressing a button... look out for a set with 'Illum' on the face and it'll have it.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

costel1969 likes this.