Catalytic converter sensor?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Rob8vGTi, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Rob8vGTi Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys,
    I have a 1990 8v GTi, it is fitted with a catalytic converter but there is no sensor connected to the cat. The hole I think the sensor would be in is blanked off, I also can’t see any unused connections.
    Is this normal that they were fitted with a cat but they were not connected up?
    Regards Rob

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Get rid of the cat! You don't need one on a 1990 car. MORE POWER!

3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

As Sam says, not needed which is probably why it’s not connected. Either leave it alone or get rid of the cat.

4. Rob8vGTi Paid Member Paid Member

Where is the best place to get a delete pipe from?
    I’ve had a bit of a look but not found anything relevant yet.

5. PhilRyder

Can you put a picture up of what you have. Does the cat have the 3 bolt flange on it?

6. Rob8vGTi Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Phil,
    I haven’t got a picture but to answer your question it does have the 3 bolt flange.

7. PhilRyder

When I was looking for one to do my MK3 I had huge problems, there were none available. Several places did them but had no stock. I ended up buying a cheap cat from cats2u and chopping the flange off and connecting it to a suitable piece of pipe. Unless you need to do this soon my advice would be to wait until the right part becomes available and live with what you have. Not ideal I know.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

can go the old skool route, take it off and smash all the insides out with a pole :lol: is unusual to see them with cat is it an import? the ecu will run better with a lambda plugged in if it expects one regardless of the cat. or it may be its had a mk3 downpipe + cat fitted for some reason in the past. maybe post up some pics, check the ecu part number etc