CE1/2 Dilemma

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Shugged, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Shugged New Member

Hi all,

Awhile ago I acquired a 1.8 KR to put into my MK2 Golf Driver to replace the 1.6 8V, unbeknownst to me the engine loom that came with the engine is CE2, my car is CE1. Without thinking, I managed to get a hold of a VERY butchered KR CE1 Loom with no ECU and I've put it in the car, only realizing it's so butchered when fitting it.

So, my question is, is it worth keeping the the KR CE1 Loom, mending it and getting a ECU for it, convert the CE2 to work with my CE1 fuse box or convert the hole car to CE2?

Thanks in advance.

Shug.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

which sections of the kr loom are bad? if its just the isv/cold start stuff the ce2 16v wiring will swap over without tooooo much difficulty. on the ce1 side theres not much to the fusebox itself except the dash sensors and wiper wiring & coil

3. rubjonny

converting car to ce2 woudl mean brand new loom front to back, clocks, ignition housing, stalks, fusebox carrier, column tube, sidelights and indicators etc. the less bits you get the more splicign you have to do which defeats the point tbh vs splicing the ce2 loom to ce1

4. Shugged New Member

Hi John, thanks for the Reply(s)

so off the top of my head there is a part of the loom on the left hand side engine bay (if you you are standing in front of the car looking at the engine bay, so O/S) that has been cut off, however i'm sure this is mainly the O/S headlight loom which shouldn't cause too much of a problem, but on the main loom that goes over the the right hand side of they bay, there seems to be a few connectors that have been cut / ripped off.

so are you suggesting that i splice the CE2 loom into the CE1 Loom?

BTW forgot to mention, the engine and loom are out of a Corrado, not a Golf.

5. rubjonny

for the 16v most of the engine management side runs back to the isv control unit which is on a separate connector, then theres a couple feeds to fusebox for the WUR and 5th injector heaters. for CE1 both of these are on spade plugs so easy to convert a CE2 loom to CE1 that way. the bulk of the fusebox connections CE1 are for the dashboard sensors and wiper motor, so as long as that side is in good condition you can split off most of the CE2 16v specific wiring and drop it onto your CE1 loom or even source another non-gti ce1 loom and drop it on that.

alternatively if you have a decent crimp tool you can get all the ce1 pins to fully convert a ce2 loom to ce1 if you want to go that route

Shugged likes this.
  6. Shugged New Member

Ok I have a few options then, Thank you.

I have the old carby loom there too so could possible use that too, although if i'm being honest that was pretty hacked up also.

I have downloaded your CE1 CE2 wiring guide, is there any notes on which wire colours reflect each sensor/connector?

7. rubjonny

this should help:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/fusebox-faq.219775/

also if you check my signature link I've got a wiring diagram for both 16v looms g2krecuce1 and ce2.pdf :)

In a nutshell, the CE2 isv control box wiring is mostly separate except it has a black ignition live feed to the fusebox, you can crimp a spade on it and put to G spade 2 or 5. theres another ignition live black/yellow for the over-run cut-off valve, you can put it into G spade 1, 2, 3 or 5 or go to fusebox D/2 or D/7.

On the main loom, the throttle switch has a black ignition live, G spade 2 or 5 or D/2 or 7. the red/black from the 5th injector thermoswitch crimp a female spade on it and it pops to a male spade on C/18. the red/white wire from the wur crimp a female spade on it and pop to male spade on E/14.

with a bit of effort you can pop out the throttle switch and over-run ignition live feeds from the ce1 16v loom and keep them as is, then drop the ce2 loom on top of it for a factory job. or crimp the right fusebox pins on the CE2 loom and swap over, the pins are available from classic-vw.co.uk and polevolt.co.uk, classic also does the ce1 pin removal tool which is cheap and also brilliant.

apart from all the above the CE1 loom also has the 42/43 relay above the fusebox for the coolant level sensor, if you want the level warning to work you need to keep/transfer that to the new ce1 loom you're putting together.

worst case I might have a ce1 16v loom somewhere, I often end up with spares from loom conversions

8. Shugged New Member

John, Thank you very much, that thread looks incredibly helpful!