central locking not working on mk2 16v

Discussion in 'Security' started by Dipesh51, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Dipesh51 Forum Member

Hi All..

Its been a while since my central locking hasnt been working.. but now im working on the car, i want everything perfect.. so the problem i have is that the Driver door works, but none of the others, not the petrol cap or the other side, i have replaced the pump, checked the tubing, and now have just ordered a new central locking module... Will this fix it?? any other suggestions??

Thanks Guys..

2. blighty Forum Member

From what you are describing, mine is occasionally the same. All I have to do to get mine to work is to remove door card, feel up inside the door (cant see so it needs to be done by feel) and find where the rod for the door handle comes down, and on the back of the locking mech on the door itself will be a small rod and I simply put the bit back onto the rod (so it reconnects the central locking unit to the drivers door so to speak) and it works. Bit fiddly the first time, but once you have done it once if/when it comes off again its a 2 minute job. (I tend to find that if I lock then unlock the car from inside the car it pulls it off, and when I dont lock/unlock the car from inside it stays on fine with no problems)

Hopefully this is all thats wrong with yours and hopefully I have explained it well enough :)

3. TROUBLESTARTER Forum Member

does the central locking pump make a noise

4. Dipesh51 Forum Member

Yes, i can hear the pump making noise... but thats all... I think it may have something to do with the central locking module being faulty... i ordered it on monday, still havn't received it.. so will try that also... Any other suggestions??

5. neil kaye Forum Junkie

if the pump runs in lock and unlock theres nothing wrong with the wiring,if the pump runs for a long period of time you have an air leak
    what module have you ordered,a mk2 16v has a pump and thats about it,the rest is wires ,pipes and actuators,drivers door one will be a 3 pin ,white electrical switch and the rest are blue pneumatic ones

6. Tim8v

Tim8v Forum Member

sorry to hijack, my central locking has packed up completely, before packing up it just started unlocking and locking on its own continually. I disconnected the battery and it obviously stopped. This was all while changing the heater matrix.

I have now connected up the battery and the central locking doesn't work at all now.

Is there a way of unlocking the fuel filler flap, i am sure there is but could not see it if its obvious.

Any ideas? [:^(]

7. Dipesh51 Forum Member

If you look in the boot, behind the panel which backs onto the fuel tank, there you can access the rod that locks and unlocks the fuel tank... a bit fiddly but it works... let me know if you need more info...

8. Dipesh51 Forum Member

Is there any way of checking if the pump is working?? mine USED to make some noise but now is completely dead...

9. neil kaye Forum Junkie

make sure the earth wire is intact and there is -12v on the plug (brown wire) the feed the red/yellow and red/white in turn with a direct +12v from the battery,you will need a long length of wire,if the pump don't run its rubar,if it runs you have a wiring fault further towards the front of the car,usually the 3 pin plug near the door or simply the fuse blown

10. Dipesh51 Forum Member

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know WHAT fuse?? Where the WHICH RELAY? is for the central locking on Mk2 16v? I have tried Haynes, but i can not figure it out....

11. neil kaye Forum Junkie

fuse 3 on a CE1
    fuse 21 on a CE2
    no relay for C/L
    check for a love feed on the red wire,of the 3 pin plug near the fusebox and drivers the door
    the other two are red/yellow and red/white ,these should have pos feeds for open and close

12. Munch471 New Member

Is there a bit of plastic that connects the door pin rod to the drivers side actuator rod?

chas likes this.
  13. chas New Member

i would like to know as well

14. watercooled Forum Member

Has your car got or ever had an alarm , I removed a non working one from my Corrado then later tried to get the central locking working,because it was a very crappy install all the wiring was hacked up to the actuators.
    The clown that did this used those rubbish 3M crimp clamps ,because it is very damp inside a door all the wires were very corroded @ those points,I spent many hours soldering and sealing the joins with heat shrink .
    This may not be your issue however it is good to check all wiring and the connecting plugs to the actuator's,to test for any mechanical linkage issues unbolt the non-locking units and see if they open and close easily without the rods connected ,I did this on one door and my tailgate lock as it wasn't working.
    There is a plastic rod piece that fits the locking arm on the door latch and mine was cracked and wouldn't stay attached to the metal rod so replaced that with good spare ,tailgate non locking was caused by a strange detent on the latch (Corrado specific) ,found it to be worn out so I removed it,worked fine after that .
    Its a reasonably big job to test/check and remedy issues and it will be the sum of all parts working to restore back to normal so best to get it right first time.
    Good luck,cheers.
    Edit ....part number for plastic locking latch part is VW 321 837 080 if thats any help ?.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
  15. chas New Member

hi what is this plastic rod i hear so much about, i found a couple of metal pieces about half inch long with a hole in each one and were identical to each other and the had been snapped off from somewhere ,i assume internally could this be a version of the plastic rod ,where does it fit to ,is it pos to send a photo cheers chas

16. watercooled Forum Member

VW Heritage have limited stock,reason I mentioned this part is have seen a few broken ones ,cheers.

17. watercooled Forum Member

Sorry didn't answer about the metal bits you found in the door, doubt they are the part I have mentioned as it is plastic and certainly not something like this part is,post a pic of them ok.
    Ones I've found don't completely break but upset the module from full movement as they split and don't allow the door latch lock from going all the way,atleast from what I have seen.

18. chas New Member

19. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the plastic bit is on the door catch locking lever, this is what the door pin and cl actuator rods attach to. the original post is many years old though so dont worry about trying to answer the original question :lol:

357837083 - left
    357837083.jpg

357837084 - right
    357837084.jpg

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

note the foot on the base, this needs to go between the catch and door skin, so when fitting you need to release the catch from the door to slip it between then bolt back up