Centre console cassette holder??

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by watercooled, Jan 15, 2014.

1. watercooled Forum Member

Would like to remove it and put in a couple of VDO gauges ,can any of you gentleman unlock the misery of how to remove this useless item.

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

IIRC, it clips through a hole in the back of the console. Should only take five minutes to whip the console off and have a look. :thumbup:

3. watercooled Forum Member

thanks appears a bit more than that ,had a second trawl on google and finally it appears there are something like meatal one way clips that hold this part in,any comments on this?

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Have you taken the centre console out yet? I'm sure that will reveal all (and more than Google-searching...)

5. watercooled Forum Member

Yea fair call but console removal isn't like other vw's in the corrado there's way more than just hooking it out,have you done this before?

6. watercooled Forum Member

Anyone have the info,scored full set of audi vdo factory gauges and want water and temp gauge in there.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if its liek a mk2 golf there are 2 metal clips either side that wedge and bite into the plastic, not easy to remove. you need to slip something thin down the sides and under the clips to release

8. Upitis New Member

I removed mine just with brutal force, pull it out. But left some marks on walls.
    watercooled - Do you mean Audi gauges like this ?
    [​IMG]
    I want to install two of them too - oil pres. and voltage. Just thinking how to put them nicely in, and how make nice bracket.

9. watercooled Forum Member

thanks yes they are the ones I have,and sorry meant to say voltage and oil pressure.
    Progress made,found if I pulled hard enough the cassette doors just pop out without breaking, then the holder comes out leaving the base box.
    The outer trim cover serves as a great template for the gauge holder so I cut one out of a piece of flat plastic and I intend to cover with some black vinyl after I cut the holes out
    This can then be glued to the original Fischer box trim cover so it will them just pop in and out on the plastic clips.
    One issue is to trim out some plastic for the gauges to clear and holesaw a hole out of the back of the base box for the wiring,will update with pics as I go along,cheers.