Classic insurance on a Mk3?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by Ralphead, May 5, 2017.

1. Ralphead New Member

Has anyone got a Mk3 on a classic policy? If so then what engine, who with etc?

I've insured various cars on classic policies in the past and the usual stipulation regarding the vehicle itself is that it's at least 20 years old. Well my Mk3 TDi is 1996 and so now that I'm resurrecting it I'm thinking of using it as a backup car rather than sell it. I've spoken to a couple of underwriters who say that they won't consider it as a classic, I pushed one of them to admit that it's because it's a diesel and that if it were a "sporty model" they would. So I'm in the weird situation where I could probably save a good 400 a year by having a VR6 instead of a TDi! That's a lot of petrol!

I have 6 years NCB but I'm using it on my Jag so to insure the Golf on a standard policy would be C500! I'm 35 and have never been held liable for any loss, I've never had a ticket or a fine, no criminal charges etc. I'm paying 250 p/a on a Jag S-type sport, half what the Golf would be! I'm a none-risk, shirley?

If I can get the TDi on a classic I'll keep it, if not it's got to go.

Some other policies I've had in the last few years:
    Corrado 16v classic policy 104
    Porsche 944 lux " " 160
    Discovery V8 " " 95