Clutch pedal stiff/creaky

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mbuk2456, Apr 5, 2018.

1. mbuk2456 Forum Member

My clutch pedal on my 91 8v gti has gone slightly stiffer and is creaking on the final part of its travel, any ideas which part would need attention? Is it likely to be the pedal box or cable related?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I would start with a new manual adjust clutch cable, while under there check the operation of the pedal and lube where needed. make sure the clutch pedal stop hasnt fallen off, it should be the same height as the brake pedal. if you look where the pedal hits the pedal box there should be a plastic buffer:
    [​IMG]

if its still stiff and creaky that leaves the clutch I'm afraid

3. mbuk2456 Forum Member

Ok cheers for the reply. Will have a look tomorrow. What's best to lube up the moving parts? Grease or something like wd40? It sounds like it's coming from inside the car and is from the pedal movement so fingers crossed it's not the clutch!

4. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

WD40 is a so light its lubing properties soon evaporate, so a drop of oil would be my choice for an in-situ fix, grease if you are going to strip it down.

WD is useful for diagnosis as it is so quick you can spray one suspect at a time, test and move on. Also good for incinerating wasps that won't leave you alone.

5. mrglee Forum Member

Would advise replacing the cable retaining clip on the clutch end just replaced my clutch cable (same symptoms) on Friday very happy then ten miles later pulled the cable nipple through it. new one on order.