Clutch replacement mk2 gti 8v

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by mk2gtikeith, Jun 14, 2006.

1. mk2gtikeith Forum Member

Hi everyone this is my 1st post so I hope I explain myself clear enough.

I have a V.W Golf Mk2 Gti 8v 1989 G-reg

Which needs a clutch replacement that I want to do myself...... Can someone please give me a step by step guide on how to do the proceedure please,what tools are needed,do any other parts need replacing as I do the clutch any seals or gaskets ect.
    Also does the clutch need any sort of special alignment tool if so where do I get one from.

Also I tried the weekend just gone to see how tight the drive shaft bolts are which I used a number 8 spline and they were so tight that one number 8 spline snapped and another one just bent any tips on that one please.

All information is really greatful.....I hope someone can help.....I need to get the car sorted but want to save a few pounds on labour and learn a bit myself.

2. mexicorich Forum Member

You will manage with a regular workshop manual

You will have one of those dreadful Digifant engines so THE most imprtant thing to remember is that the main earth cables MUST be reattached when you finish before you try turning the engine over or you risk frying your ECU

3. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Regarding the driveshafts, make sure to clean out the heads of the spline bolts, then using a hammer tap the spline bit into the bolt head firmly to seat it properly and prevent it rounding off. I used a spline bit in a half inch drive ratchet to undo mine and they were very tight but all came apart ok in the end.

I didn't use a special alignment tool, just aligned the new clutch by eye but I did have the engine and 'box out of the car at the time so it was a bit easier, I think most people do it this way in any case. You will find the flywheel bolts are very tight indeed and will need a long bar with a couple of people swinging on it to undo those! :lol:

A Haynes manual gives you a decent guide on how to do the job, it's fairly straightforward. :)

4. mk2gtikeith Forum Member

Am I right by using a number 8 spline tool for the driveshaft bolts?

5. mk2gtikeith Forum Member

Good evening everyone.... I've got the gearbox out..... Can anyone tell me how to stop the preasure plate from spinning when trying to undo the 6 bolts ?
    Also is there more than 1 clutch kit for them as the friction plate middle part (with the splines) is standing taller than the one that come off....Also the preasure plate looks slighty different or is this a supperseeded part i have please help.......

6. mexicorich Forum Member

Just hold tight!

Do not have your socket wrench radially out from the crank, which will just try to spin the engine, but instead pointing in towards the crank

7. Drew21 Forum Member

8. Dancork#

Dancork# Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys, fairly new to this but changing clutch on my 91 8v next weekend, what else should I replace when it's ripped, thanks

9. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Gearbox oil, you could fit a lighter flywheel if you wanted to liven it up, possibly some gearbox seals if they're weeping, front engine mount, gearbox mount...

10. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Id definitely contact Gas n Gears and get him to do you a lightened flywheel.

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

deffo do the input shaft seal and the pushrod bush and seal, gsf numbers:
    315VG0010 Gearbox main shaft bush
    311VG0020 Gearbox seal-input shaft
    311VG0030 Rod oil seal-main shaft

gearbox mount worth doing as its fiddly with box in though still doable. front is easy peasy but if it looks wobbly do that too

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

check the steering rack boots, cv boots etc if they need doing gearbox out is a great time to do it

13. Dancork#

Dancork# Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks all, managed to order all gearbox seals and bushes so hopefully be here by weekend