clutch what a pain

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by welly24, Jul 21, 2022.

1. welly24 Forum Member

clutch problem with no answer so far someone must know why my clutch fork hits my pressure plate ive changed everything ,flywheel clutch gearbox still does it,1.8t first with o2j box smfw and valeo clutch slipped,so vr6 sachs clutch,fork hits clutch pressure plate,took it out changed clutch fork for the thinner one,yes fork hits clutch,took it out moddified the fork by welding 2 pads on the fork to lift the relaese bearing and this worked but the box went bang so fitted my spare 02s box and clutch fork, back to the fork hitting the clutch,so ordered an abf flywheel and new cluch fork bunged it in and you guessed the fork once again hits the clutch.all parts are genuine any one got a spare gallon of petrol and box of matches

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Different fork for cars with a DMF?

The thinner fork, what is that out of?

3. welly24 Forum Member

mk5 golf

4. Rocco_Balboa Paid Member Paid Member

Can remember reading something similar recently and the issue was the flywheel bolts been different lengths on the vr6 flywheel compared to dmf on the 02J?

5. welly24 Forum Member

turns out different gearboxes have different bell housing depth ,if its the deep one the clutch fork is further out due to it being deeper and hits the cover plate rivets,the evs is the short one so is the diesel but the 02s 6 speed is deeper

6. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Yup, different bellhousing depths, different flywheel offsets and the slave cylinders differ too.

But, there’s also a glut of pressure plates that are deaper too. As an example there’s Sachs Vr clutch kits out there that are being used with the correct flywheel and bellhousing combination and people are still having contact issues. I’m messaged about it at least twice a month. It’s usually the 2 prongs that stick out.

It seems lots of parts are now being made as generic and don’t fit great. This is the issue as this stuff gets older .

KeithMac likes this.