Coilover springs upgrade. How to choose length, etc?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by HidRo, Apr 8, 2019.

1. HidRo Forum Member

Hi guys,

So, I've been reading around and I believe I'm ready to take the plunge to upgrade my rear springs to something stiffer.
    I'm currently running a Golf mk2 GTI 16V (with a 1.8T with around 400hp on the good days), which I use as a weekend and track toy.
    Stock 16V front and rear ARB's.

I'm running JOM JNT coilovers (height and shock adjustable) with SPAX springs in front (433lbf-ft) and the JOM front springs in the rear (don't know the spring rate, but they are stiffer than the SPAX rears).

The car has always sunk the rear when pulling hard and it feels a bit wobbly (steering is vague to say the least).

At this point, I believe that the rear springs being stiffer would benefit everything in the car (maybe not for the comfort, which I don't care really).

Checking online for stiffer springs, I have found something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Faulkners-...2-25-ID-Racing-Competition-Rally/310846011285

Now, as for the spring rates, through searching the forum, it seems that something like 500/600 is what I should be reaching out to.

But, length, coil ID, etc. What should I be aiming for? I'll keep the helpers, as its necessary to keep the structure in place when dropping the wheel, etc.

Any tips would be great!
    Thanks!
    Pic for clicks :)
    Marco.jpg