Coilover talk

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by S3ALEX90, Oct 6, 2016.

1. S3ALEX90 Forum Member

Bc's, gaz gold, kw v3s

Firstly are the gaz golds and v3s really worth the extra money. I know the price varies alot between the 3 but taking the money out of consideration are the differences that great. Any info would be great! From a track point of view. Thanks!

2. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

I can speak for the V3's. I've had them on mine over a year now. Previous to these I had a FK AK, then Weitecs and the V3 are on another level!
    They are fully stainless and also have a lifetime warranty, so they may be a little more expensive but realistically you'll never have to buy another set if you plan on keeping the car a while :)

V3's also have KW's valve technology, which is a feature only on V3's-upwards. there is a valve in each coilover which stays closed when driving normally; when you start to press on in the corners the valve opens and stiffens that corner up - clever stuff!

Another benefit is the ability of being able to adjust the dampening and rebound, you can completely change the characteristics of the car, and get it to handle exactly as you want it too.

...another benefit lol.... I have 2 settings which I've fine tuned to my liking, a road setting and a track setting. I can drive to the track in complete comfort (its easily as comfy as my dads standard Passat) then when I'm at the track it takes 10-15 mins to get it set up in track mode and its a completely different animal!

So far I haven't found a single draw back, and I'm particularly fussy with stuff like this..

hope this helps :)

3. AjVR Forum Member

I run BC but valved/sprung for track only and seem to be okay. The front shocks are fairly short though which means if you want to get near stock ride height is a pain.

Didnt like the look of V3 as seemed to have a set valving from factory so would have had to send them off for a rebuild but that is if its a track only setup.

Most of the other mk2 racers seem to run AST.

4. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

KW make a Clubsport coilover which is 30% stiffen than the V3's :)
    But I've never found that an issue with mine on track

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

BC racing dampers and springs for most trackday driving (am road driving in my case). A significant step from FKs. Adjustable dampers (rebound only) seem to cope pretty well with spring rates from 6kg/mm to 11kg/mm.

KW V3s (bump and rebound adjustable) seem to be the next step up from BC racing. Even more road control I am told and the vehicle remains pretty comfortable to drive.

Racers tend to run AST suspension as it is stable and consistent lap after lap during a season. These parts are usually tuned for the purpose.

GAZ Golds, I am told are as good as the shock tuner building them. Some racers also have run them but tuned outside GAZ for durability.

Leda are another suspension manufacture worth considering.

6. S3ALEX90 Forum Member

Thanks for the information much appreciated! Eddy where would I look for ast or leda are there any suppliers. Also any models I should be looking out for?

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Jtech or 3hirty8ight on here :thumbup:

8. S3ALEX90 Forum Member

Sweet. Cheers eddy!