Cold start valve wiring troubles

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Dellboy, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Dellboy Paid Member Paid Member

hi all,

I have an early mk2 golf 8v Kjet. I am having trouble getting power to the CSV. I have run the Haynes manual test so have earthed HT lead, eArthed green and white from themotime switch and connected a test lamp across the csv connection, then cranked the car and I get nothing on the test lamp. I have checked the continuity of green and white from thermo switch to csv and continuity of black wire from CSV to starter and all is ok. So I am now stumped. I suspect the solenoid on the starter has faulty wiring when I turn it over the circuit isn’t completed as it should. Is there any way to test this or another way to complete the circuit?

Thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1st put 12v to the black spade on the starter from the battery, then once the thermoswitch green/white wire is earthed you should then see 12v at csv plug. If that checks out wiring is all fine, look at starter motor and wiring to it from fusebox plus ignition switch.

make sure you have the 2 spades fitted the right way round, the fat red/black should be on terminal 50 and smaller black to 15a. you would know if its wrong as starter wont crank over if you get it wrong, I guess thats what you meant when you said the circuit isnt completed as it should?

3. Dellboy Paid Member Paid Member

The starter is working fine so I assume the wires are on the right way round and wiring to ignition must be ok for it to work also Terminal 50 having the red and black and being closest to the gearbox is right. I think the issue is terminal 15a not getting any power, do you think this is a fault inside the solenoid?

4. rubjonny

yeah it's probably an issue with the starter, as voltage should be passed thru while its cranking. possibly the battery voltage is a bit lowe but I'd expect you would still see some power, you could unplug the wires from starter and loop a wire between the red/black and black and re-test to see if you get good cranking voltage

5. Dellboy Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks rubjonny, I will give it a go. Do you know if you can replace just the solenoid on those starters?

6. rubjonny

I believe they are available separately yes, but it may work out about the same cost to swap the starter motor, see what you can find though :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019