condensation on the painted floor...

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by M7R, Oct 30, 2011.

1. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I seem to sort one thing and then get hassle from another!!!

I have now painted the walls on the new garage, sealed up alot of the gaps where the insectes, birds, dust etc etc could get in, and pained the floor with a 2 part epoxy paint, so as to seal it and make it wipe clean..http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10LTRS-GA...Material_Paint_Varnish_MJ&hash=item35b610e329 its good hard wearing stuff having done my folks 18 months ago.. but more on that...

all was going well untill I opened the garage today after a night of rain to find that floor was covered in condensation, and everything felt a little clammy....[xx(]

I was having trouble with the fillet around the age going dark and damp each time it rained, I called the fitters back out, but they said it was normal due to the thickness of the fillet, and the fact they put aload of PVA and other resins in the cement. they said it would take a while to dry and each time it rained it could strat drawing moisture again untill fully cured, their advice was to paint the floor to seal it when it was dry looking... so I did

now I did think was the condensation due to that, but I went to see my folks today who live in a new house with the garage attached to the side of the house, I painted that floor 18 months ago in a harsh wet cold feb when we moved in, and today dad had the same condenstion on the floor as I did!!

now the old house my folks lived in was again a new build, with the garage attached to the house, but for that one I didnt paint the floor or brease block walls, the only thing IT did have was a weather strip to stop the rain coming under the door, which mine and my folks new house doesnt have..... so when it rains now I get a small line on water level with the door but that is all, however I am now wondering if to:

a) fit a weather stip to the bottom of the door sooner rather than later to help cut down the moisture coming in,

and b) open up a couple of the holes where the roof meets the facias to allow a bit of the draft and stop the condensation building up maybe? (my plan had been seal up most of the holes to stop the cold getting in, and then clad the roof area and insulate it to again help keep the heat in, then in ayear or 2 clad and insulate the walls too.. but not so sure now if it will stop the air flow and make it damp.

any thoughts guys and gels?

2. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

from reading on the net this is actually quite common, it is just I have never been in the garage when the conditions are right for it, ie cold and then warms up out side.

so fingers crossed the opening back up of the gap in the roof, and the door seal to help stop the water getting in in the first place, should help cut down on the problem.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Is there any insulation in the roof, and has there been a warm car put in the garage?

Hot air + cold surfaces = condensation, as I'm sure you're well aware.

4. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

no insulation in the roof yet, and no car in there yet either

5. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I've got the same problem in my garage, with condensation forming on the metal roof and dripping down. I think it's the problem with seperate metal roofed garages. Lots of advise I've read is to do with making sure there is airflow through the garage, but my garage has holes everywhere and it still does it!

6. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

the roof on mine is cement fibre that sort of brethes, it absorbs moisture and then dries out again. Im not getting any probs with the roof or walls, just the floor, so I am hoping that the seal will help stop the damp coming in,

7. WillG

WillG Forum Member

ah yeah the fibre cement rooves are great for absorption. Strange that it's coming up through your floor though, maybe it's just the strange weather with coldish nights and warm days.

something like this for sealing the door? maybe with a sealant beneath it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123-Weather-Stop-Rubber-Garage-Door-Floor-Seal-Strip-/120565999032?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Doors_LE&hash=item1c124b25b8

8. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I don't think it its coming up through the floor, as it had a plastic sheeting in the base, and the paint also helps stop it. I think its more moisture from the air condensing on the cold floor thats causing it.

the door seal I will be fitting is:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/garage-seal-2500mm-aluminium/29327

it screws to the door, and should help stop the cold air blowing over the floor, and also the odd bit of water coming in when it rains hard.