Converting wheel bolts to studs and nuts

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by GVK, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Stellino New Member

Super Cool! Really wicked find!

I can spot that those are made in Italy: AIT DADO 1 written on one face of the nut means ... well, NUT 1 :)
    I found already a company in Italy selling the very same nuts a bit cheaper than the German website, overall also the studs are cheaper, but the pictures are too small and I cannot find the same code pictured on one end of the stud.

Being Italian myself I will try to google them better, finding the producer would be amazing!

here the Italian website where I found them in:
    http://www.equipetorino.it/shop/allestimenti/dadi.html

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit: it has been really quick.
    The producer is called Tecno 2 Srl, I saw them sponsoring many Delta Integrale in Italian rallying.
    their website is here
    http://www.aitechitaly.it/IT/index.php
    their catalogue
    http://www.aitechitaly.it/pdf/aitech_cat_ott_2008.pdf
    and...
    they have a UK office too!
    http://www.tecno2.co.uk/index.html
    their e-shop doesn't seem to be working - but hey, they have a telephone number too!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Good work. I just decided to get them bought, as they were under my nose, but there is scope for them to be cheaper, expecially the splined studs!

Techno 2 would make sense, because in the 2010 Isa Racing catalogue, the studs were different, and they looked like Techno2 studs from the UK, without the threads removed fro the nose.

In the ISA 2011 catalogue, they look like the ones I bought.

Edit: the pdf says the company is Advanced Innovation Technology which must be 'AIT' (not Techno2, unless that is a related company).

Edit, Edit: same company - see bottom of each page: http://www.aitechitaly.it/Listino_it_01_2011.pdf

I have a recollection these were actually from Italy also :thumbup:

3. Yoof Forum Member

Need longer studs on the front of mine now due to a wheel change, these chaps seem to import AIT ones:

http://www.rallynuts.com/wheel-studs.html

Took me ages to find that!

Will let you know how they compare to Bildon.

4. Yoof Forum Member

Oh and no problems with Loctite 278 here- brakes got hot enough to melt centre cap from the wheel, studs are fine.

5. 16vt Forum Member

6. babbe Forum Member

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Some stuff in that shop is the same as the AIT-marked studs in post 340 above :thumbup:

8. 16vt Forum Member

They look same quality as the rallynuts that I believe are 12.9 tensile strength and in price more expensive plus postage, I just don't trust the straight studs so going with the press in ones.

Where do you guys source radius nuts from, my Compomotives have radius inserts in them.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  9. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Bimecc - www.bimecc.it

10. Hamish Forum Member

I bought these for my quattro and they are great quality. Just one thing to correct they are not threaded throughout. They have a raised section which tightens onto the hub face nicely.

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ah, I'll rephrase - the point is the mention of 13mm:

12. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Chris, how are you getting on with the studs you bought in Germany (and listed in post 340)? I assume they're exactly the same AIT items as listed in here: http://www.rallynuts.com/wheel-studs.html, using the 60deg taper seat copper nut in combination with the M12x1.5 studs?

Pretty keen to sort a set now, as I'm changing wheels at the start and finish of every track day :thumbup:

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

They're sitting in a box looking spangly waiting to go on the car - it hasn't been out since it returned from Prescott Hill / Retro Rides.

Measurement-wise they're fine, everything checked prior to purchase, from length to wheel hole aperture ID to brake disc hole ID :thumbup:

14. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Great, thanks for confirming that.

I run TD Pro Race 1.2s, both as road wheels and track wheels (different colour though LOL!), so assume I'll need to measure up my hub-disc-wheel total thickness to get the length. I'm expecting the 70mm to be about right, as I only run 25/30mm (front/rear) wheel bolts at present.

15. 16vt Forum Member

installed a set of studs the press in type that rallynuts and bimmec do, 12.9 tensile makes me happy. I had a set of those screw on studs and on harsh launching they would come lose, almost lost a wheel. This option is much safer like most oem, makes changing wheels much easier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

I like the look of those press in items. Does it require you to take the hub off the car, or can it be done in-situ? What special tooling is required?

Do we require 13.1mm (Ford) or 14.3mm (GM) diameter at the press in end....?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  17. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

The downside to pressed in studs is you can't keep removing and replacing the studs if you decide to life them. You'll be looking at replacing the hubs too.

18. m1keh Forum Member

I've replaced them a couple of times with no issues in the same hubs. If you were starting to get problems of them spinning a small tack weld would hold them.

19. 16vt Forum Member

If they are drilled correctly and pressed in the splines on the stud should bite and hold tight. The 13.1 are the ones you would need, with 15mm spacers and comp's 15s the longer 65mm studs were just right for me!

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Spotted being applied to the studs on the works Mazdas at today's Britcar 24 Hour:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]