Cope's GTI

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by copeidge, Jul 14, 2008.

1. daNpy Forum Member

That all looks like some fine work. Nice welds, and I am curious about the headliner. You definately spent some more time on it than impatient-me [:D]

2. caddyboet

caddyboet Paid Member Paid Member

Amazing work as always. Great motivation to get stuck into mine. :thumbup:

3. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Thanks Chaps!

4. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

With most jobs now ticked off, the only thing left was some new brakes for the MOT.

I fitted 2 new genuine VW mk4 rear calipers, these had been rebuilt with new seals and pistons for a bargain price of £70.The old calipers were well past it, one was a pattern part and the hand brake mech had seized so I’d only had one caliper connected up to the lever.

When it came to new pads, I stuck with Tarox Strada for the rear - these have been brilliant, they have the same bite as an OE pad, but can take much more heat – perfect.

For the fronts I’d decided I wanted to try something new. I’ve used DS2500’s for years and I cant knock them, always rock solid and can take lap after lap without fade.

However I’d heard such good things about other pads I fancied a change.

After doing loads of research and chatting to some mates, I’d settle on Carbone Lorraine RC6’s, these had a better coefficient of friction at 0.5 oppose to the 0.46 of the DS2500’s and could take over 1000 degrees C.

With my order placed, I had a call from CL, they were unable to get any RC6’s from the factory for my G60 calipers, but they did offer me a free upgrade the RC8’s…

in for a penny, in for a pound!

[​IMG]

These are a real bit of kit! I was sceptical about going for such a high end pad, as I still use the car on the road. After doing some digging I found out they are 0.6 coeffient from clap cold. So the initial bite should be fantastic.

After everything was fitted I gave the brakes a full bleed with ATE type 200.

I went out that night to bed the pads in, 70mph down to 20mph medium brake pressure 25 times in a row.

It's safe to say I’m totally blown away by the pads, theres so much feel and the initial bite wants to rip your face clean off! I’m looking forward to trying these on track.

[​IMG]

Pads fitted, time for MOT.

[​IMG]

It's always a nervous wait, but I’m pleased to say she passed with flying colours and no advisories.

Once passed I went for a blast out, the new bump steer correction and roll centre correction mods have made the car feel alive! The steering is so precise and it feels like I need less lock. So I’m very very happy. Can’t wait to try it out on track!

My only complaint after driving the car, aside from the squeaky brakes when cold – which I can live with – is the pad knock. Because they are designed to take so much heat and expand in the carriers, on the road they knock and clatter about.

I messaged CL to see if they did a spring kit for the pads, the response was “it’s not deemed necessary on race cars” … which is totally understandable!

So I’ve retro fitted some spring from a set of old rear pads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The springs were drilled out, adjusted, the hole in pads was also drilled out and then the springs riveted to the pads.

[​IMG]

I’m yet to try the car, but I’m hoping that’s cured it. Once the pads wear down I’ll have to remove them as they will come in contact with each other, but I’ll work another solution for that when the time comes.

I helped out again this year at Elsecar at The Races. Simon asked if I wanted the Golf inside this year… This was the excuse I needed to give the car a much need clean up and polish.

I always try and keep it looking the best it can, but artificial lights show every imperfection.

So I busted out the machine polisher and got busy

[​IMG]

I used 2 stages on this, medium pad and a refining pad with Menzerna products.

I went to town on the bits I’d painted, but just did one stage on the places that are still in original paint. There’s not much paint left to polish and its getting very thin on the rear quarter.

[​IMG]

It was nice to spend the time making it look really clean again!

[​IMG]

I parked up next to Rob in his incredible mk2, this is the same Rob that does track days with us in his S3

[​IMG]

I’ve booked Donnington Park on the 2nd May to kick this years track days off.
    I’ve never done Donny so I’m very excited to see how the car feels with all the new upgrades.

5. daNpy Forum Member

Nice brake upgrade. I can image the DS2500 is like childsplay compared to these pads [:D]
    Your car looks stunning. Have fun at Donnington Park, I only know it from games but I'd love to drive there myself!

copeidge likes this.
  6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Great update again James - You'll enjoy Donington, but Craners demands respect!

copeidge likes this.
  7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Great choice of pads and a nice modification to help pad clatter.
    I ran those years ago, only for trackdays, due to the amount of dust and desposits to the paintwork they produce.
    I never got along with DS2500 as they were not enough, but used DS3000s. Unlike the DS3000s, the CL RC6 pads I used at the time, had no bedding period and work from cold, just as their friction data stated. This is responsible for the progressive feel they gave.

https://www.clubgti.com/forums/inde...oyotecs-jenvee-the-6-speed-era.244559/page-14

copeidge and daNpy like this.
  8. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Awesome stuff Cope , I've RC6 on the RallyKa, glad to hear RC8 are so good, as I'd been considering a change .

copeidge likes this.
  9. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Donington Park 2023

After all the recent modifications, I was excited for Donny and to see how the car performed.

After a 2 hour drive, we arrived. My mate Jim in with me as passenger, Brooke in his e46 touring, Rob in his S3 and Dunc in his Clio.

[​IMG]

We are getting pretty good at this track day lark, along with an F1 team assortment of spares and tools, we added a kitchen to the list of “must-haves”– Yorkshire tea, Ginger Parkin and chocolate Hobnobs to boot!

[​IMG]

The day went really well, slowly picking up the pace.

[​IMG]

I was soon taking Craner Curves flat in 5th, the car felt really planted and I often found myself catching a lot of fasters cars through this section and the old hairpin.

[​IMG]

One thing I struggled with in the morning was the brakes, They bite so hard its unbelievable, and because I’d got new brakes I was trying extra hard to brake as late as possible and as hard as possible, which resulted in a few lock ups. Luckily my brain engaged, came off the pedal, quickly back on then easing the car into the corner without getting too out of shape…

Whats amazing is, 5-6 laps in they just get better and better.

After a session I noticed the brake reservoir, was completely cool to the touch, which shows just how effective the copper backing is on the pads at managing heat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Golf kept battling on lap after lap, without issue.

[​IMG]

I was really pleased with how the car felt, the steering is like nothing I’ve driven before, so precise and accurate, it was well worth the time and effort correcting the rollcentre and bumpsteer. The only thing letting the side down were the tyres. As good an all rounder as NS2R’s are they just don’t provide the grip, particularly on corner exit that you really want.

Having said that I was catching some expensive metal and had good battles with an E36 M3, a fully bazzed up M4 Competition and this amazing E30.

[​IMG]

It was a 1989 320i and according to James the owner it was 128hp and 1,000kg. Which explains why this and the Golf were so evenly matched! Even in a straight line, which never happens!

They seemed to just get the edge on corner exit, and as usual I was probably pushing a little too hard for the tyres (I'll address that soon!)

But here you can enjoy a few laps with the E30.
    I’d borrowed a newer GoPro 8 Black, and the quality was fantastic, so I’ll be investing in a new camera shortly, and using my GoPro 3 as a footcam :)

*disclaimer* The Porsche at the start of the video had held me up numerous times in the day, every time I’d catch him, he would fly off, before the next corner, clearly the thought of an old brick shaped Golf getting past his beloved Porka was too much to stomach, so I’d decided to just drive as close as I dare and hope for a blue flag… it can get frustrating. For those who don’t know on a track day, if a car approaches you from behind, they are faster, it doesn’t matter what it is. Indicate, back off and let the other car past. It’s a very simple concept, a lot can’t seem to fathom.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately for Rob, just before the end of the day, the pistons in his S3 decided they didn’t want to be in an engine anymore! So that was end of play for him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before we knew it the day was over! It was probably one of my favourite track days, Donington is fantastic! And we had some really good laughs with some really good lads. There’s not much more you can ask for!

Since the track day I’ve been using the Golf as often as I can, I’ve been over to the Motorist a few times, which is always good!

And someone took some nice photos :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next on the list, is another set of wheels and a set of slicks! Lets see how many CVs/Gearboxes I can break…

Onwards and upwards!

Skool, erreesse, dragonfly and 4 others like this.
  10. daNpy Forum Member

Sounds like a very nice day! Where is your brake reservoir located, as it was completely cool to the touch? I've never tried, but I doubt mine is cool, if not by brake fluid then the engine warmth will heat it up a bit at least, or not?
    I recognize the issue with the faster cars a bit from last trackday, well it only makes me happy that more money doesn't mean faster drivers. In fact, it's the opposite if you ask me, you'll learn to get more out of a slower car way better than out of a fast car. I didn't have them driving in the way for long though, most were faster on the complete lap anyway and only "in the way" for some corners.
    You've got a lot of nice pictures too!

11. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Thanks mate, the res is located in the factory position. I dont know if it got hot before although i have heard of cars boiling over brake fluid so i was surprised at how cold it was to say how much heat gets into the brakes

daNpy likes this.
  12. daNpy Forum Member

If I remember it I'll check it next time, too. It's quite interesting :)

13. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Paid Member Paid Member

Saw this at Elsecar, the reg ringed a bell but wouldn’t remember why, and its clicked.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
    copeidge likes this.
  14. Hot Water Forum Member

Not worth trying something like an AO50, RE11, Z221 etc?

Still a race tyre but a little nicer of set up and good if it is damp morning etc

copeidge likes this.
  15. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

hi mate yeah its a good call. Slicks were the preferred option mainly due to cost vs performance, I can get a decent used set for £100! Where as any decent semi slick new is £600+ for a set of 4.

plans have changed slightly already, I’m planning a big ish Nurburgring trip this year, so im going back to Nankang AR1s but going to try a 205 instead of a 195.

16. daNpy Forum Member

The Nankang AR1's are €123 a piece here. That should be around 105 GBP?
    Are they more expensive in the UK due to the Brexit?

copeidge likes this.
  17. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

That very cheap! yep, everything has gone it.. EVERYTHING!

Cheapest I can get 4 205 ar1's is £460 delivered.

18. daNpy Forum Member

Well that's a lot less than 600,- then :)

19. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Nurburgring Trip is booked for the end of August for 11 days [8D] Very very excited for that!

I’ve been tinkering away slowly on a few jobs. First the scuttle has needed attention or years, I previously repaired it when I was 16 with fibreglass… yep… but to be fair, it was all still intact and the rust hasn’t spread.

I also need a new windscreen, as this one has a few chips and some grinding splatter in the glass. The old seal was cut out and the windscreen removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next step will be to remove any other bits of surface rust, etch prime and paint.

Another reason for the removing the windscreen was to make some gussets for the roll cage.

I always liked how they look and should provide loads of extra stiffness in the shell. As with most things, I’m picky. You can buy sheel steel with the dimples already made in a precut piece. I’ve never liked them as they never fit 100% and feel like an after thought.

I’d made a few CAD (cardboard aided design) templates and settled on this.

[​IMG]

I wanted the angles of the piece to match the roof line at the top and the speaker covers in the dash at the bottom. I bought a 25mm punch and a 25mm dimple die.

[​IMG]

Both incredible tools! And very reasonable at £10 a piece.

Once I was happy I started making them in steel

[​IMG]

Another cheap but incredible useful tool! A deburring tool, used for, you guessed it... a bargain for £7
    Dimples were then added.
    [​IMG]

If you don’t know, the dimples add loads of rigidity to the panel, whilst also reducing weight. Win-win!

Once I was happy, I protected the car from heat/welding splatter as much as possible, using a welding blanket over the dash. I also ali tapped the roof gutters just in case. I’d have been gutted if these were damaged!

[​IMG]

Then pen marked where I wanted to stitch weld, making sure to weld inbetween the dimples to give the most strength.

[​IMG]

All welded in.

[​IMG]

The process was repeated on the other side, then etch primed and painted satin black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All done!

Very happy with the results. I wasn’t too happy with the welding at first, I’m getting better but by no means perfect. Luckily I’m pretty good with a grinder! lol 

Next up will be finishing the scuttle off, and if there’s time before the Ring, I’ll also be making gussets for the b-pillars.

davkav, Skool, daNpy and 1 other person like this.
  20. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

I love all the work you’ve put into this and that you still have it and drive it like it should be driven

copeidge likes this.