Corrado 24v cruise control

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by swiftkid, Oct 4, 2017.

1. swiftkid New Member

Hi All, I did an R32 conversion in my corrado a while ago with an Audi A3 3.2 engine and really want to add cruise control onto it. I've managed to source a mk3 cruise control stalk and was chatting to a guy a while ago about how he fitted cruise control onto a 24v so thought it was nice and fairly straight forward.

Just looking at the wiring diagram now (A3 BDB) and I'm not sure how I go about this, looking at this thread: http://clubgti.com/showthread.php?266133-Mk2-1-8T-Cruise-Control it says I should have T121/38, 57, 75 & 76 but I've only got T121/38 which says it goes to steering column electronics control unit (J527).

Does anyone know if its done over can-bus? if I need another module or if its even possible at all? I'm tempted to just chuck the wires in T121 and try it but obviously theres always that worry of damaging something

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you need to add the missing pins into your loom, only the PD wiring looms had them as standard, the petrol looms only have the wires if cruise was specced as a factory option. you also need the brake and clutch switches wired up.

the bit about can-bus was just for the cruise control light, the diagrams on that link show you how to wire your own if you wanted (I'll fix the image links after I post this reply)

swiftkid and MUSHY 16V like this.
  3. swiftkid New Member

You absolute legend, I had thought that might be the case but unfortunately when I stuck the pin in for the RPM that didn't work.

Yes, got the brake and clutch switch wiring diagrams which look pretty straight forward so thats fine. Yea I was considering adding a light into the cluster, might still do that.

I could see the images but can't anymore... I did a bit of coding to my google chrome (stolen from a link on edition38 below) which somehow retrieved images from photobucket so can view them fine.

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?/topic/554027-photobucket-has-gone-tits-up/&page=3

4. rubjonny

ah wait, what age/era is the 3.2 engine & ECU? if its MK5 type then you'll probably find the cruise pins dont work either and its all CAN-BUS, same reason the RPM pin didnt work when you tried it :(

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The clue was BDB = EU4 compliant 3.2 VR6.
    So an early 8P car. = St10 ECUs take torque requests from the body control module via CAN.

6. rubjonny

ahh missed that, bugger.

7. swiftkid New Member

Feck, so that's a no go? so no cruise control for me. ******* hate these mk5 era r32's, just the worst for doing conversions.

Any possible way round?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

8. rubjonny

could possibly wire up the steering column control module, then wire your stalk to that. The diagrams dont really help you figuring this out though just shows a 6 pin connection with no details of the stalk internals. you would also need to get a VSS feed into it somewhere too I'd assume so the cruise will activate properly.

as it happens I stumbled across this site yesterday, theres a unit to inject VSS to the CAN-BUS, and also one which can enable cruise:
    https://www.fastforward.ca/signalprocessors/

9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

VSS on a MK5 platform vehicle is via the ESP/ABS module. And they all speak to each other via CAN.

I remember that module from swiftkid. It was sent to me to de immo and I gave up with it after pulling my hair out. In hindsight I did not realise it was an ST10 module, even though the casing looked like any other ME7.1.1!

10. rubjonny

aye thats the trouble, would need the abs module as well, and figure out how to get abs sensors fitted to mk2 hubs etc. the can-bus module in the above link seems expensive at first glance, but if you compare it to all the pain and hassle you would have to go through to get these signals otherwise its pretty decent price! shame you have to buy another one to get the tacho out rather than have 1 module that does the lot. but hey ho, you get 15% off at least :lol:

I know of another company who does various can modules, but they only have tacho & vss output modules not vss input currently
    http://www.co-star.co.uk/prod/4106/can-bus-rpm-interface.html

11. swiftkid New Member

Well I'm about to fit a Teves20 system so if there's a possibility of fitting a mk4 system I'd be interested.
    I'm a bit clueless on the whole canbus system but I thought the gateway was the clocks?

I've had an ongoing project using an arduino hacking into the canbus which I managed to get the rpm out of but other than putting it on an Lcd screen I haven't done anything else with it.
    With a bit of research there's scope to input the analogue vss but I'm learning as I go so everything takes 10x longer than it should as I don't know anyone with c++ or canbus experience

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

12. rubjonny

you would need a mk5 era system I would have thought, but maybe the mk4 system can talk to the mk5 type ecu? on the mk4 the canbus gateway is in the clocks yes, newer cars its a separate module

since you are doing your own can-bus hackery perhaps see if you can find someone with a mk5 golf you can sniff the can-bus to try and pull out the VSS and cruise addresses :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  13. rubjonny