Cruise control in Golf 4 with 3.2 BUB engine is it possible

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by QQxQ, Jul 6, 2021.

1. QQxQ New Member

Hello
    I would like to add cruise control to Golf IV 2003, engine changed from 1.8T to 3.2 BUB from Golf V 2008
    Is it possible ?
    How to do it ? What do I need

Apparently, im need an emulator that changes the signal ?
    I fired the air conditioning without this module, so maybe it can do it and cruise control?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the mk5 era stalk works over can-bus, plus you may need a can-bus module to inject vehicle speed into the ecu can-bus as well as it pulls that from the abs ecu direct rather than from the cluster via a wire. its possible the mk5 ecu can pull the data from the mk4 abs module, not sure if the later ecu can talk to mk4 abs modules. i take it rev counter works ok, and you're not using a module for that? or did you fit mk5 clocks?

there is a single wire for cruise control between the ecu pin 38 and the steering column controller but not sure what kind of signal it is

3. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

I think it is still a single wire on MK5 but it goes through the steering column module. It might just passthrough or it might do something to the signal. In theory the ABS should work, most later MK4's use 1K0 ABS modules which are basically the same as what is used in the MK5, just coded differently

4. QQxQ New Member

I have ABS module mk4 1C0, clocks from mk4 1j5 immo3,
    The gearbox from Golf 5 GUM without a speed sensor, I have changed the software of the clocks so that it gets the speed signal from the abs controller (from the abs sensors as in newer cars)

So when it comes to speed, it goes on can for clocks

The engine revs see the clock and ecu too
    Same speed
    I don't use any module for this

The fact that there is a module under the steering wheel in mk5, I know, I had a mk5 TDI, the only question is how to connect this factory module,
    I also know that it is done on one cable, but what about the rest in mk4 to ecu there are 5 of them

you mean 1c0 so this is practically the same as 1k0
    I just don't know what to do with the rest of the cables, since only 1 goes to the ecu

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  5. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Late car actually come with 1K0 modules, its just coded differently. All apologies I though there was only 1 wire on the MK4 too. Would have to use that module then for sure but not sure how

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

there was a canadian company who had a cruise-can module, but they stopped selling them. the steering control module takes all kinds of other inputs and I'm not sure if it would be happy when fitted to a mk4 without the steering angle sensor for example, plus the mk5 cruise stalk has 6 wires so a little reverse engineering would be required. apart from that shouldnt be too hard, I guess you would need to tap a couple wires on the ignition switch plug so module knows ignition is on etc.

basically you're probably on your own with this one, good luck :lol: