CV Joint Drawings

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Dave, Apr 14, 2011.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Might be worth pulling some.of the info out and posting here if you can, that way it won't be lost :)

Tristan likes this.
  2. boroko

boroko Paid Member Paid Member

It's about 90 replies, mostly about who wants to purchase them. Also VW Rally is a private group, and not sharable, so you would have to request to join. https://www.facebook.com/groups/26438253721 Not a fan of FB, but it is what it is. The post started in 2016, revisited a couple of years ago, and again recently.
    In pursuing this I managed to buy what i thought was a 90 rear CV. Turned out to be a 90 front, and they are different (same as V8Q) (893 498 099L). The biggest questions I have are what are eventually going to be the right bearings, and all the crosses for the CV's, especially which brands are worthwhile. I'm told GKN/Lobro/Spidan 22550 are the first choice. SKF(VKJA) 3019 are a good second. Unfortunately don't know anything about Meyle, Maxgear, or Vai (Vaico) that are more commonly available.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  3. boroko

One of the comments from the FB thread, not sure on details (like part #'s) yet:
    • Which wheel bearing will this use? Running 72mm (I think) Corrado bearings all around on my setup.

Yes, 72mm bearing OD 40mm ID 37mm width. so, any 10.1 upright setup that is not VR6 Plus suspension stuff.

4. rubjonny

the vr6 5 stud type bearing is actually the same as the 4 stud ones, only the fitting kit that comes with it is slightly different due to the ball joint and the fact it only uses 1 circlip rather than 2

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Meyle stuff is reasonable, but not high quality.
    Maxgear, never heard of.
    Vaico is mixed, usually cheaper.

6. rubjonny

problem with the likes of meyle, topran, febi etc is they dont make parts they're a wholesaler so quality can vary. if given the choice go for more expensive and/or 'german made' quality

7. boroko

I appreciate the feedback.

8. boroko

The first picture shows the normal CV spline size compared to the Audi one (and the hub splined to fit it). The second shows early hub vs. later one. Hoping to get them on the car this weekend and see if there are any issues.
    CV1.jpg CV2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  9. boroko

I did find that the quality of the spline machining that I got were better than the Meyle CV's that I received. One of the splines had a very slight burr, and it stuck in the same spot on both of the hubs. Rotation didn't matter, nor did swapping them. A little stoning the splines solved the issue, but I thought it amazing that the machinist got it so close that the fit perfectly matched the binding in both.

10. caddyboet

caddyboet Paid Member Paid Member

I recently purchased MAPCO hubs and carriers from Germany and have been really impressed with the quality. The brand was recommended to me by a few MK2 owners in Germany, and MAPCO also has a special parts division that sells “upgraded” parts that solve known issues with obsolete OEM ones.

I found that the prices on EBay Germany were the cheapest if anyone fancies trying to order anything of theirs.

https://www.mapco.com/en/carparts/19609/mapco-16993-joint-kit-drive-shaft/

11. boroko

Thanks for the suggestion. I got one on the car the other day before I slipped on some slush and took myself out for a few days. Had to take the speed ring off, but other than that, fit is good so far.
    Remember, gravity: its the law!

12. imaparana New Member

Has anyone made any headway/had success (in anger) with this 'conversion'?
    looking at doing similar with my lupo gti rally car which is snapping cv's

13. boroko

The ones described above have run about 300 stage miles so far without issue, and yes, in anger.

14. imaparana New Member

Great news! Problem solved then :)

15. boroko

Got another couple of hundred stage miles on them and had them out for some trans work this week. So far, they look perfect. While not cheap, it has been a good solution. Going to thrash them again this coming weekend at a race.

16. joshw Forum Member

Great to hear they are doing well. Mine are doing well too even with 300+ ft-lb torque from our TDI and clutch drops in 2nd gear on tarmac.

17. Adamss24 Forum Member

Hi forum members, is there any upgrade for the inner cv joints on a 6 speed gearbox off the mk4 golf ? I keep breaking inner ball cages with spirited driving so I need to upgrade if possible to later tripod cv joints…

18. Adamss24 Forum Member

Basically my setup is vr6 outer hubs and cv joints welded to mk4 inner cv joints and stock DRW mk4 gearbox fitted to 1.9 pd tdi engine…
    Welding is no problem, it’s finding suitable cups that would take later tripod cv joints which will fit the mk4 gearbox. Thanks in advance !

19. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Nearly unheard of, Adam, to break inners repeatedly, rather than outers.

I wonder is something out of line?

Adamss24 likes this.
  20. mrglee Forum Member

I have 5 stud and have a set of four stud fag bearings left from years ago is it ok to use them issues?.