daNpy - Golf MKII Group H

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by daNpy, Apr 4, 2022.

1. daNpy Forum Member

So after the trackday in Zolder I've got a small list of improvements to be made

- There is a rattle/squeaky from behind somewhere, showed up during the day. I suspect the exhaust.
    - A small leak is found from the carter ventilation. The round connection shows a trail below.
    - An oil leak from the dipstick tube to the block itself. There was some oil on the oilpan. Could be because the tube is under stress as the dipstick handle is touching the airbox backplate. Or somehow we put some stress on it whilst checking the oil level in the afternoon. I did check and didn't see any drops on the floor at any time during the day or on the trailer when we got home.
    For both items the complete nose can be removed. Again.

- Brake cooling to be improved, massively. Or put 4 piston Wilwoods on em. Well there goes the "I am going to save money!"-plan
    - Brake fluid to be improved? Currently running RBF600 from Motul, none of my race friends (who actually race) have issues with this in comparable cars.
    - Add an oil cooler to the system. The oil was at 120°C, not too bad, but coolant was at 102 °C. For this the heat exchanger oil/coolant needs to be removed and the hoses closed.
    - Also add a ducting plate to force the incoming air into the radiator.
    - Fixate the radiator better as it can move forward and rearward now (and hits the airbox).

2. daNpy Forum Member

Does anybody know if the short "threaded union", or oil filter fitting, with part numbers
    03C-115-721(A)
    and
    059-115-721
    are the same?

Should be thread 3/4.
    Can't find any details on the parts easily (length and thread are most important)

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I can tell you the threads are the same, but not the length. they look similar but are not the same part under ETKA. 059 is listed for MK2 engines without oil cooler, 03C various modern engines without oil cooler

4. daNpy Forum Member

Thanks John, can you estimate the length as well?
    Anything longer than 30 mm would suffice!
    (The adapter has its own extension on the VW part)

I can order both here in NL but the 056 is 15 euros and the 03C is only 5... quite a difference for (almost?) the same part.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  5. rubjonny

best I can do is an ETKA screengrab :(
    Clipboard01.png

6. daNpy Forum Member

Do you have the 059 as well? This one has 14 windings... counting the 059 will tell me if it's longer or shorter [:D]

7. rubjonny

8. daNpy Forum Member

I am counting 16 windings on both of them.

9. rubjonny

yeah only difference im seeing is the 03C has less of a nose either side of the thread, cant see it making a difference. may want to double double check the thread though, I used a nut part number found on a diagram with the 03C one which is the same as the MK2 part, but there was also another threaded stud part number for some revisions. The oil filter seems same for both but maybe the diagram is missing some information...

10. daNpy Forum Member

Thread should be 3/4. I've changed my order to the 03C, have to pick it up Friday.
    If it doesn't fit, that's my risk. Then I'll have to re-order the 059.

11. daNpy Forum Member

IMG-20220617-WA0005.jpeg And it fits :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  12. rubjonny

great news :)

13. daNpy Forum Member

Today I continued with the baffled sump, as mentioned in that topic.
    I also managed to remove the dipstick tube.... After finding on the internet that you just need to pull - hard, so I did. I noticed I could "rotate" the tube in it's fitting. Not around the axis, but in a circle. So it was definately leaking from now on.
    I couldn't get grip enough, so I removed the oil/coolant heat exchanger. That needed to be done anyway. Then still nothing. So I removed the coolanthose as well. Still nothing. I used some electrical wire to make a noose. Climbed on the subframe and the suspension dome and pulled... until the cable broke.
    Then I removed the sump once more and found it is possible, and fairly easy, to just use a piece of (alu) tube and hammer the pipe upwards. Job done.
    The worst part is that I already thought about it doing that before I even started.

After this time consuming exercize I removed the long threaded union and placed the short with the cooling adapter :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  14. daNpy Forum Member

Meanwhile the frontend is modified to allow place for the oil cooler. The fan had to be removed, a rear mounted fan is ordered and should come in tomorrow.

IMG-20220701-WA0006.jpeg

The adapter plate is also fitted, luckily I saw the steel shavings before I fitted the filter, as the nut is damaging the adapter when being tightened. The adapter should be bolted quite tight, and as shavings were still coming after some tries I rotated the adapter left, tightened the nut and then rotated the whole thing in place, thightening the nut some more. Then the filter could finally be applied.

The oil sump was also placed, I put a litre or so of oil in it and had a play with the doors, it's nice to see they work quite well [:D]
    To replace the baffle plate with gasket I had to remove the oil pump as well. There was no steel gasket for the pump, but black gasket maker was fitted. I re-did this (twice, as I ofcourse forgot to place the baffle plate first) with black gasket maker.

I made the hoses to the correct length and filled the oil cooler with oil, fitted the hoses to the adapter and filled them with oil too before mounting them to the cooler. Then I turned over the engine a few times on the started to try and remove as much air from the system as possible.

15. daNpy Forum Member

Well the trackday next week can be cancelled as the oil cooler just split open within the first 10 seconds of idling.
    Unhappy is an understatement IMG-20220703-WA0005.jpeg

16. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Strange to see the cooler split open.

daNpy likes this.
  17. daNpy Forum Member

I tried everything to avoid air in the system as best as I could.
    I filled the oil cooler, even the hoses before connecting and turned the engine over after connecting. The cooler was on the floor (being the lowest part) so any air left would go up and not into the cooler.

I did find the cooler to fill really slowly. The oil got to both ends but it took quite some time... Maybe the channels are too thin?

18. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Pressure too high when cold?

19. daNpy Forum Member

Could be but if you can't even heat up while idling...

20. daNpy Forum Member

I've decided not to skip the trackday on Assen. I just removed the adapter plate and the oil cooler, and we're good to go.

Well sort of. First of all the brakefluid still needs to be changed after the Zolder-overheating adventure. Second I found a leak in the exhaust manifold (way below at the collector). So that has to be welded this week.