Definitive list of what you can and cannot remove/bypass/resistor on OEM 1.8T

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by rubjonny, Jul 15, 2011.

1. welshwizzard88

welshwizzard88 Forum Member

A faulty solenoid is far more likely to blow a ECU delicate TTL chips than any resistor. Power resistors disipate heat.

Yes i can understand why you say what you do. But an ecu is like a security alarm in the terms that it sees a resitance value change and it in term provides a output.

So the same principal can be used on ecu as a security system if you remove a device and replace it with a resistor the control panel ecu will be happy. if apply a resistor a cross a input cause it to blow why does lots of equipment come with resistors padding out inputs?

The ecu does not creat the power it is drawn throught it if you are concerned it would be worth measuring the current draw with solenoid in place and when bridged out when doing this with my security system at work it makes next to no difference.

I can onnly conclude that if you can feel a little 330ohm resistor get hot there is a serious problem else where causing it.

2. drewbar Forum Member

If the resistors are getting hot, can you not opt for a lower resistance item? Who has actually tested what the lowest working resistance is that inhibits the EML being illuminated? Im guessing someone in the past may have just selected possibly an overkill resistor and used that, or has it actually been proven?

3. welshwizzard88

welshwizzard88 Forum Member

That's a very good point. I think the resistance from the working device should be measured then replicated.

4. Ditchyboy Forum Member

I am no good on electrics but going on what Badger Bill say if i left all the correct sensors on the wires even if i am not using them could i get these coded out by someone and hide them away so it throws no faults but uses no resistors?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

all the ones in my list can be though (that should be removed at least)

6. drewbar Forum Member

To bring back this thread a bit, I'm having so issues with my car at the moment and am being told by having the above items unplugged and running the EML on full time the ecu will never adapt and not run to its full potential? I can see the logic behind this but is there any truth?

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Yes, ive seen it. Look at measuring block 032 lots of 0s

8. drewbar Forum Member

Ok cool man i'll go check it out, how long/distance does it take for the adaptions to set?

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

not even half a mile in my experience

10. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

On ME7 i had all of the above disconnected/removed without any resistors at all

No MIL light on
    No limp mode
    No problems

Just how this was achieved i do not know as original loose map was placed by Jabbasport and proper mapping was done by Wayne at Chipwizards

Maybe one of them or both have been coding outputs out, if it helps the thread i will make some phonecalls and try to find out?

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah id imagine they were coded out as part of the mapping process

12. drewbar Forum Member

Right got round to it tonight and been and checked you are correct sir, I've refitted the missing sensors and will clear all the codes down ready for a test tomorrow morning [:D]

In reading my wiring diagrams I also recognised something of fail that could be part of my troubles that i'll rectify before I test drive tomorrow :lol: