Digifant and ignition timing.

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Tristan, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

OK. So the accepted wisdom is that if one sets the ignition timing on a Digi more than the factory amount , the engine can lose power and/or run worse. And that the ecu will retard it anyway. Which is acceptable on a stock motor.
    But any modded engine I've seen, with a bigger cam and a modded head usually likes to run more advance.
    My question is, seeing as the Digi doesn't have a cam or crank sensor, or any TDC reference for the Ecu, how can it know if you have added more advance than stock ,and as a result retard it back to where it supposedly should be? Surely the knock sensor can't be so sensitive ?

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

think its just the knock sensor pulling it back as needed?

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

I would make a TDC ref somehow, ideally on the flywheel. Cut up an spark plug and make an adjustable dead stop ideally
    Jon

4. Tristan

There is one on the fly, I'm only wondering why everyone says no point in giving them more advance

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Only a rolling road session would answer that one satisfactorily for me. ie try different settings..
    Jon

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

comes down to a lot of things, engien health, fuel quality, components used etc. 8 degrees is a good start point then work from there. preferably use a man with a big beard either real or metaphorical to fine tune everything together to get the best results. i.e. Eddie/Toyotec ;)

7. Tristan

I might try swinging the dizzy next time we do a dyno day