Digifiz Woes

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by GolfRyder, Oct 26, 2006.

1. GolfRyder New Member

Hi peeps,

Cut a short story long:

* Bought a 8000RPM Digifiz unit from ebay for my 1990 Golf Rallye

* Realised the wiring loom supplied was for a pre 1990 Golf so purchased a new 1990> spec loom

* When powered up the fuel gauge constantly flashes and shows 55 (litres?)

* The engine temperature gauge constantly flashes, even when the engine is cold

* After about 30mins the display goes bonkers

* Bought a new Digifiz instrument panel - the plastic housing - not realising that the circuit membrane (which attaches to the back of the unit) is a seperate item and does not come as part of the unit. As this was a special order item no return [8(]

* Swapped over the old circuit membrane to the new panel and same symptons - flashing fuel gauge, flashing engine temperature gauge. This time display remains OK and doesn't go bonkers!

[:^(] [:^(] [:^(]

Trying to source a replacement circuit membrane part # 191 919 065AA

Wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction or is willing to sell me the above (perhaps from a defective plastic housing but OK circuit - must be from 800RPM unit).

Help and advice appreciated.

Sorry for the loooong post :)

2. GolfRyder New Member

Calling Trev16V

Trev16V, I have PM'd you... :)

3. G60. Forum Member

does your temperature guage work? The temperature guage flashing indicates low coolant.
    For a g60 rallye you should have got a 7000 rpm digifiz.

4. GolfRyder New Member

G60

Thanks for the reply G60...

My Rallye has a S3/TT 1.8T transplant, hence the 8000RPM... :)

Apologies, my post is misleading. The engine temperature warning light flashes - the oil can symbol...

Trying to contact Trev16V at the mo... [:D] He can repair the Digifiz units, apparently. ;)

5. Tarmac Terror Forum Member

I had a 8000rpm Digifiz unit, that had a knackered display but seemed to fire up ok with no flashing bits that shouldn;t have been flashing.

Th eprinted circuit bit looked ok on that one, Ican send you the guys details who has it now if you like or get hold of him to see if he still has it if Trev16v can;t help you out mate.;)

6. GolfRyder New Member

Cheers TT

Thanks TT, if you could PM me the guys details that would be great :p .

No joy getting hold of Trev16V [:^(] . Anyone?

7. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry, I currently work away from home during the week. I'll try to look into this later tonight or over the weekend.

8. GolfRyder New Member

Thanks Trev16V

Thanks Trev16V for getting back to me.

Please can you PM me some contact details so I can get back to you :) ?

9. Trev16v

I'll send you a PM now mate. I feel it might be easier to have a chat with you on the blower about this because I have both questions and suggestions to make.

Regards

Trev

10. G60. Forum Member

any joy with this?

11. Donx22 New Member

i have all my digifiz working properly now except my fuel guage! it is reading 55 all the time too! did you get anywhere with this problem???

Now i have done a little reasearch into this and have come up with 2 possible reasons why. my dash is buggered! which i reallly pray isn't the case cos i like having a fuel guage, il hae to get tid of the dials otheriwse or the sender connector isnt right for the dash. It is originally a 91 8v golf. the oriingal clocks work fine with the fuel gauge. although looking at ETKA there are 2 differnt part numbers for fuel guage connector.

Pre 89- digifiz 4 pin connector, normall is 2

post 89- connector -2 pin, then an optional 4 pin connector for a digifiz!!??

first pic is 86 golf [​IMG]

second pic is 91 golf [​IMG]

3rd pic is 89 golf, all images where taken from ETKA [​IMG]

now i have ordered a 4 pin connnector for a 86 golf, same as 89 i think, going to try install that c if it works at all! but id love to know how you guys did this! if you had to do any of this at all? i will check when i get home to see if there is a 2 pin or 4 pin sender on the tank atm and take it form there!

12. Trev16v

The problem with GolfRyder's Digifiz turned out to be a fault with the Digifiz PCB itself. The acquisition IC which reads in all the analogue sensor data had been b0rked.

I have to confess that I never realised that ETKA listed different fuel gauge sender connectors for the Digifiz. I need to look into this more later when I have some time.

In my Digifiz installation I am using the standard fuel level sender and wiring loom (1990 MK2 16V). I am currently unaware of there needing to be any different kind of connection at the level sender for the Digifiz. My setup is working fine. Therefore I would say that you have a fault either with the Digifiz unit itself, or there is a problem with the Digifiz loom (Digifiz to fusebox). You might want to refer to Rubjonny's fusebox FAQ to ensure your Digifiz loom is taking the level sensor signal from the right fusebox point. If you have a standard unbutchered VW loom then it should be right.

13. Donx22 New Member

thanks very much for the quick response Trev!
    my fuel gauge isn't flashing like GolfRyder's just reads 55, i may have a run with it c if it changes lol and manually change the height of the fuel guage sender double check that im getting the right signal form the fusebox to the digifiz, maybe power it up with a battery and apply a varied DC current using a psu! it is a bit annoying as this is the only problem with it, and its also very handy for getting my revs to work as im running a 1.8t on standrad ecu which needs the digital signal to read rev gauge! so my nomrall clocks dont work without a copnverter box which arnt cheeap form what i remember!
    just out of interest do u know of any fuel guages that work with the standard sender that i could rerofit somehwre else on the dash, if i managed to get 1 of these working somwhere nice and descreet if all else fails i dont think it mind 2 much tbh! lol is the standrad sender a volatge between 0-12v this would help me narrowdown wats exactly isn't working!

also if you could check at some point by ne chance if the sender you have on ures is a 4 pin or 2 pin housing like in the pics above that would be amazing and very usefull!

big help agian Trev! thanks, much appreciated

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

in general:
    2 pin = carb
    3 pin = pre-90 GTI
    4 pin = post 90 GTI

the only difference between 3 & 4 pin is on the 3 pin one the level sensor and lift pump share the same earth, on the 4 pin one each has its own earth.

Disconnect the plug from the lift pump, if it still reads 55 you have a short in the wiring or the cluster is borked

15. Donx22 New Member

thanks guys! i will test these in the next couple of days! if i cant get it working i mite fit a 52mm fuel gauge dial or something, jst something to tell me when im getting empty! I'd rather have the rest of the digifiz working and jst someting small somehwre else let me know when im getting empty so i don't run it dry!

thanks for the help, il let u know what i find

16. Donx22 New Member

rite guys shud be able to finsih off the wiring tonight with a bit of luck, quick question about the speed sensor plug, as it has 3 wires and positions 1,2,3, but no direction to what each wire does.
    I hacvn't got it in fornt of me as am at work but from memory

[​IMG]

does that seem right to you guys?

17. Trev16v

Just a bit more information about the fuel gauge sensor:

If your original analogue cluster's fuel gauge worked just fine, then you already know that you have a good fuel level signal reaching as far as the fusebox. Therefore, the only area you have left to look at is the loom that interfaces between the Digifiz cluster and the fusebox.

The fuel gauge signal is sent to the Digifiz from connector U12, pin 1 on the fusebox, to pin 1 of the 'SL' connector on the back of the Digifiz. Check that this wire is intact. You could also use a test meter to measure the resistance measured on this wire with respect to ground; this resistance should increase as the fuel level in the tank gets lower.

18. 1984bryan New Member

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem as post n°1 (fuel level =55l and coolant gauge keeps flashing) I am re building the harness and test pin after pin (frequency generatir for speed sensor etc)
    the rest is OK

this seems to be the problem:
    can you tell me wich IC you are talking about

thank you

19. Normus19 New Member

is trev anywhere to be seen, desperate to talk to him myself,

im got same issues, my temp gauge doesnt work, and my fuel gauge reads 55,
    also, when hard throttle the buzzer for the oil pressure comes on.....

help anyone would be good?

20. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

@1984bryan @Normus19 I'm not Trev but I repair analogue clusters and I would be very interested to work on a Digifiz (if that is needed). You can contact me with the email in my signature! As a first step have you tried disconnecting the the purple/black wire from the Digifiz? Its connector SL9 pin 1?