Digital Race dash / Clocks - Options?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by mayor west, Sep 9, 2016.

1. mayor west Forum Member

Hi,

I'm considering fitting a digital dash to my MK2 Golf TDI track car (1991 with ARL PD150 Engine & ASD 5 Speed Gearbox) and wondered if anyone has used these / heard if these are worth using?

The main reason I'm thinking about this is that the clocks I have don't fit very nice with the standard dash and this really annoys me.

I don't want to spend mega money so the cheaper the better really as I don't NEED them but would like the digi dash for aesthetic reasons.

All I really need the dash to do is read: Speed, RPM, Fuel & Water Temp. Any additional features are just a bonus.

Here are a few option Iv'e found for sale on eBay for reasonable money:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acewell-D...980767?hash=item4af8b1c8df:g:~x4AAOSwa-dWtMqC

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acewell-3...550add1&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=321540191414

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acewell-3...0ff7d61&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=221522832121

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321999980767?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Any help would be much appreciated :)

2. mickey marrows Forum Member

I've worked with acewells and while they do work well they are a little 'cheap', I also find them difficult to read in a normal installation in a Golf etc as realistically our eyes are 4 feet from the display. I drove a car with the acewell on the steering wheel, that worked well... have you considered a Race Technolgies Dash 2? more expensive, but you get what you pay for..
    Alternatively run a CAN application on your smartphone (or cheap 7" tablet) with a CAN bluetooth adaptor maybe..

3. mayor west Forum Member

Thanks for the recommendation but this is just more than I want to pay.

I can mount the dash nearer to me if needed, it's just the clocks I have at the minute are too big for the space in the dash so look a bit of a bodge.

I'll have a think anyway but thanks for the reply.

4. dubspy Forum Member

how good do the CAN applications work? any recommendations? Would this be used to replace the clocks altogether?

Thanks

5. mayor west Forum Member

6. dubspy Forum Member

Be good to see pictures and a video of it fitted

7. mayor west Forum Member

Yea I'll get some pics when they're fitted, should be mounted the day they arrive, as for wiring them in I might have to wait until my mate is free to sort that out.

8. big_wig_074 New Member

this is an obd2 engine correct? if so get a Bluetooth obd2 adaptor and the torque app on a tablet if you own one, then use that as a dash.you can customize it however you wish.

9. dubspy Forum Member

How well does the torque app work? is it accurate? may be a good way to get a digital dash for little money.

Thanks

10. mayor west Forum Member

No real updates with this as of yet as I got it mounted but wasn't really happy so it's been taken back out before Iv'e had time to get it wired in.

Here are some pictures I took of it. It's small, but as I tell my missus - It's what you do with it that counts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should have it all remounted and wired in some time next week I hope, although I did think this last week :)

11. mayor west Forum Member

Managed to get power to these and get the RPM working correctly. That's as far as we got though as my mate had to go :(

Off:

[​IMG]

On, Engine not running:

[​IMG]

I had hoped the RPM & water temp light were a different colour to the background light so It would catch your eye better but I suppose for the price I can't moan too much. I'm sure they will do the job ok.

Hopefully I'll have more to report soon.