Dodgy driver

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by dodgy, Mar 7, 2021.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Heard a bit of a commotion while outside working today, one of the cats thought the leaves needed clearing off the golfs bonnet.

Vinnie and PhilRyder like this.
  2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

You must love cats
    Had that been my Corrado.......

dodgy likes this.
  3. dodgy

Three of them, the black and white one is usually around helping if I'm out in the garage, had pawprints in painted panels before though.

4. dodgy

No real update, except while car has been standing the front seats have developed an embarassing white mould on the front seats only.
    Car is a little damp inside due to being out in the Yorkshire weather admittedly, but it's only affected the front seats, rear are leather too, door panels are fine as is the steering wheel and gearknob.
    So me and the golf now smell like a chip shop after washing them down with white vinegar and a toothbrush, presumably I will have a resurgence of sarsons when I put the heating on.

Any suggestion as to something to rub on the seats to help protect them from a comeback, think I have some renovo black cream stuff in the garage that I use on the mg .

5. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

i generally give mine a spray over with anti bac at the end of the year, keep it in the garage with a window open... garage is dry but obviously damp can creep in

dodgy likes this.
  6. dodgy

Mg is usually in the garage, just an explosion of mdf , audi tt alloys and skirting board in there at the moment, so all the cars are parked outside, could do with a nissen hut I reckon, with a wood burner to keep it nice.

7. dodgy

The renovo cream contains an anti bacterial agent, so hopefully will help protect it, did look like I'd eaten powdered donuts in there.

8. dodgy

Battery was low on the golf, again as it was stood, so put on charge Wednesday before work, came home to dip beam on, so checked, ignition off and light switch off, running relays so presumed one stuck, put back on charge yesterday, got home, and the auxiliary water pump was running, plus 2 of the red lights on on the dash, 2 rh ones, with no key in it.
    Have disconnected battery and charger on again today, will see what happens tonight.
    Any suggestions, thinking earth problem?

9. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

[:s]
    Only earth likely if ignition on surely? There must be a short somewhere for there to be power to some of the electrical systems. Damp/water ingress?

dodgy likes this.
  10. dodgy

Could be ingress of water, relay for headlight is between battery and lamp on inner wing, but the relay for the pump is above fusebox, it is driving rain up here this week, and pretty exposed too.
    The lights are OK yesterday, after turning on and off, may have been sticky relay, resetting by use.
    Pump on other hand I suppose may be the control relay gone kaput and leaking voltage back and powering the dash lamps? Had an odd one when fitted megajolt to mini, the power for the ignition lamp gave enough feedback when turning off to keep the ecu powered and running, had to fit a diode to stop it, not that this is the case here.

11. dodgy

Electric gremlins appear to have gone, package has just arrived at home, so hopefully it's something useful, few more bits to arrive yet before can piece it together.
    Other than that nothing else been happening apart from decorating still, almost at a skirting point so will be car time soon.
    Update on parcel later.

Mk2daz likes this.
  12. dodgy

20220301_172347.jpg
    Well, I've no idea how that got through the letterbox.

New headlining from myrtle, grp backed and black cloth. Clips ordered and black plastic paint to do the rear pillar trims & handle surround on its way.

Did price up before ordering, and it wasn't much different to me recovering my headlining, and factoring in finding enough time to do it, ebay discount, nectar points and triple points back it was the best option for me.
    So if anyone needs a 5 door lining card with sunroof to refurb, there's one here, let me know as storage may be slim pickings here.

13. dodgy

20220306_184840.jpg
    Local auto factor had some trim paint so trying that on the plastic piece above boot , looks like it will work well.

PhilRyder likes this.
  14. dodgy

Little update, got the rest of the trims out today and have painted them black.
    Took the old headlining out, surprised at the fragility of it, couple of cracks but if anyone wants one to retrim come and get it, easily repairable I'm sure.

Car has been stood and has had a bit of moisture in it, when I dropped the lining it had water on it, not a great deal but a bit.
    What I have noticed are there are a number of holes in the sunroof tray, which are supposed to be there, and have tape over them from the factory, some of them have peeled away with age, could this be the cause of the water on the liner, sunroof has original seal still and it sits not quite flush on one rear corner which will be sorted this weekend fingers crossed.
    Will run something through the drain hoses also to check them while at it.
    Presume I just tape them back up?

Seatbelts are out and will get a makeover, few bits have been gathered for other parts of the interior, watch this space, and have a couple of ideas for two other items but got some working out to do yet.
    Let's hope weather holds tomorrow.
    Cheers D

Savagesam likes this.
  15. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Has the plastic trim paint worked well?

16. dodgy

Yes, seems OK, but I've only sprayed them so far, not back in use.
    Sun visors look quite impressive, hard plastic bits have come up well, the only bit I'm hesitant about is the visor clips as the plastic on those is a weird one, and I managed to scratch it, but new black ones are available so will probably get a pair and a couple new seatbelt caps.
    Scrubbed everything with soapy water then wiped with isopropyl alcohol, time will tell.
    Going to try the spray on the back seat as its z colour concept one and has poorly painted yellow panels in it, will scuff the surface slightly with a scotchbrite pad to promote better adhesion on that.

17. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Visor clips on ours have worn, need to get new ones.

18. dodgy

Think it's the plastic, has a strange waxy feel to it, suppose its the flexibility to allow clipping in and out yet hard enough to not crack, different to rest of trim.
    They are cheap enough, but it's postage on top so trying to get a few bits to order, not everything in stock at one place typically. Seatbelt caps top and bottom in stock but visor clips not, or vice versa.

19. dodgy

16470780306746218192978417603492.jpg

Parcels just arrived mid kitchen rewire, polo 6n electric window switch and loom cuts, blank plus 2 new switches. Two front regulators and motors arrived earlier in week, with an electric window centre console, loom to build soon and will move heated seat switches to the console too, less obvious that it's passat switches then rather than in dashboard.

Gave trim panels another spray just now, so they look more uniform. 20220312_083207.jpg

Weather is showers, hence more house diy, hall/stairs done except oiling the treads, and finally made last of my kitchen solid doors yesterday, just got to decide colours 100% to start painting them, builder has a 2 month delay due to Yorkshire weather, oh well.
    And have tracked down a replacement roof for the mgf, think one of the cats has jumped off garage roof and canonballed it through rear plastic screen, but it was 25 years old, got quotes of up to 800 for replacement, so it's a 500 mile round trip in a couple of weeks to get an excellent 2nd hand one with frame which will be an upgrade too as a later type.

Attached Files:

20. dodgy

Headlining fitted!!
    Took advantage of reasonable weather today and got the golf in bits.
    Sunroof main panel out, corner with a scratch sanded, primed and painted to tidy it up. New exterior seal fitted and roof back in and adjusted.
    Pop up flap is looking worse than I remember so that's been flap wheeled, rust treatment, prime, painted with 3 coats of gloss black, will look for a replacement but this will hold it at bay for a while.
    Roof drain hoses disconnected, poked through with nylon tube and blown out with compressor just for peace of mind.
    And... replacement Headlining fitted.
    Got one of the fibreglass ones trimmed in black from myrtle limited, came in a massive box and got it off ebay, there was an offer, load of nectar points to use and was actually cheaper than via their own website. Compared to time stripping and repairing mine, materials and juggling weather, work and the house it was a good deal.
    Very good fit, did it on my own, went well, only problems were the fact I initially put the 4 clips in the roof not allowing me to jiggle to fit the rubbers nicely and when refitting the drivers visor it cracked on the hinge, more an age thing I think.
    Roof aerial from a mk3 fitted and wired up and a supply wire fitted for the rear view mirror, got a polo 9n3 self dipping mirror, pretty rare and I'm not fitting it in the red one so thought would size it up for this.
    Still few bits left to finish, seatbelts are out for reweb, sunroof inner panel needs covering and fitting but got too cold for glue to go off go hope yo do that next weekend, mirror to fit and back seat to dye.
    But a good day.