Done the FB group, so better say hello in here as well

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by swisstony, May 30, 2019.

1. swisstony New Member

HI all
    Thanks for the add in the FB group but thought I better a) say hello in here and b) get my post count up so I can advertise some parts as I assume newbies can't post for sale until we have a few posts under our belts ;)

So hello from Bucks.

We are starting ( or have done for the last 2 months ) a MK3 Gti 16V Anniversary restoration project. It will be a labour of love as we think its worth keeping these cars on the road. It is my wife's car but muggins here gets to implement all her mad ideas ! :)

She has had her MK3 for many years now but over the last 4-5 years it has been SORN and sitting on our driveway. Sadly it has, in this time , been slowly rusting away and it wasn't until a few months ago that we discovered she was pretty much shot. In all the usual places, hiding under the plastic arch trims, bottom of the front wings, rear around spare wheel well, several points on the floor pan around those silly round grommets and finally the big one, all along the sill at the jacking points. Some previous owner /idiot had crushed all the sills and now we had massive rusted holes everywhere. So had the tough decision to scrap the shell. Now it just so happens that our next door neighbour's daughter has the same car (mystic blue) but 8V Anniversary. So we bought the steel, pushed it round to our driveway and started the project :)

The plan is to transplant just about everything from the original car into this shell, essentially turning it into a 16V and thus saving one car at least. Obviously the chassis number will change but we will cross that bridge at some point.

So will be posting in here for advice , updating the thread on our progress and finally selling all the bits we don't need. Stay tuned !

And as a taster here is the old shell on its journey to golf heaven

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  2. swisstony New Member

ah just noticed this forum does not like flickr for images. What does everyone else use ?

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Welcome!:thumbup:

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

fixed ;) couple too many tags round the .jpg address :)

swisstony likes this.
  5. Rooster

Rooster Paid Member Paid Member

Welcome, looks like an interesting project and putting a mk3 16v back on the road can only be a good thing as they’ve dwindled in numbers

6. swisstony New Member

cheers, I realised I was using the insert picture icon instead of just pasting in the URL..doh !!

7. swisstony New Member

Thanks, it is indeed worth it. 150 from new in 1986 to now just about 22 on the road and a handful more SORN.

8. Rooster

Rooster Paid Member Paid Member

Is that all I hadn’t realised it was that low. I had one briefly that had unfortunately already succumbed to tin worm but it was quite a nice drive