Door bump strips, how to sort warpage ?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by watercooled, Aug 9, 2022.

1. watercooled Forum Member

My door bump strip on LH door has twisted and pulled off the double sided tape,what do folks on here do to straighten them out,they don't appear to have a metal insert/backer so thinking maybe careful use of my heatgun ???.
    TIA.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

In these warm days, if you could remove it, heat it, and leave it clamped straight to a piece of wood or similar for a few days.

3. H8V

h8v Forum Member

"In these warm days"...you'll make him jealous. In Nelson, NZ, the temps for Thursday are max 11C and min 0C!!

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

It's a balmy 30 or so here in Tipperary...

5. H8V

h8v Forum Member

You'll be looking forward to the rain soon, then [:D]

watercooled likes this.
  6. watercooled Forum Member

Well spotted on the location but they got it wrong as it is 4 below this morning ,expect it will reach more than 11 above however,@ my last place by the sea we never really got frosts except rear of my paddock behind the house,my new place gets very heavy frosts as it is this morning.
    Bit of a PITA to have stick on trim never stays put like the clip on stuff,besides a bit of a waste of time on a Corrado due to mounting position lower on the door ...what were the designers thinking/drinking @ the time lol.

7. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Apologies for the inaccurate weather, I got it from the BBC. I always notice your Nelson location because I visited the interesting motor museum there a few years ago and the (not so interesting) world of wearable art. I'll be in NZ in a few weeks, but the nearest I'll get to Nelson is travelling between Greymouth and Christchurch.

There's quite a selection of elderly and classic cars in NZ, and not too many cars on the roads. It's a pleasant change from most of the rest of the world.

8. watercooled Forum Member

Classic cars are a huge part of NZ culture,amazing when shows and cruises are on as such a mix of beautiful cars of all makes ,in my small town out of Nelson its mainly comprised of American stuff ,my Corrado generates a lot of second looks as folks don't know what the hell it is .
    My Corrado is I think one of only 7 in the whole country ,mk'2 Golfs are pretty thin on the ground also,large amount of later cars with the mk5 GTI's being very popular .
    Hope you enjoy your visit here but be aware the weather has been pretty awful this winter ,cheers.

9. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Thanks. We usually visit in July/August so never experience your nicest weather. Step out of Auckland airport and it's usually raining or windy, or both.
    About 4 years ago you had flooding in the east and Dunedin seemed impossible to get to for a day or two.
    We'll enjoy NZ again, no matter what the weather!
    Good luck with your cars.

10. watercooled Forum Member

Because I was worried about this trim piece getting hooked up on something and broken I pulled it off as the loose end failed to stick back down.
    Tristan made a good point so I will do that,before the rain started there was weak sun and the trim went real soft and bendable so a win there.
    Have scrapped off old double sided tape of the door with plastic scrapper and ready to get the right size tape (19mm) but will buy quality from local panelbeater.

11. caddyboet

caddyboet Paid Member Paid Member

Try use boiling water. I find it is much better than a heat gun as it seems to heat the plastic all the way through without melting it. Heat guns often scorch the surface before the heat even get to the middle.

I normally fill a kettle and once boiled slowly pour it over the warped area. After pouring for about 20-30 seconds it’s normally ready to manipulated back into shape. I then repeat the process with ice water to hold it in its new shape. Depending what you are working on it can help to have someone pour the ice water while you hold the item in position.

12. watercooled Forum Member

Good tip thanks ,seems to be soft enough on a sunny day of which we are getting lots of lately.

13. watercooled Forum Member

Getting the old tape of the door has been a bit of a chore but getting there,don't want to scratch it so using plastic scrapper .