Driveshaft inner joint identification

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by dodgy, Jul 6, 2020.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

This may be a stupid question, but the mk4 had 2 size inner pots, 100 and 108mm I believe.
    Now I've seen people suggesting to measure circumference with string, but am I right thinking the bolt size is different on flange, 8 on 100mm and larger on the 108?
    Thinking may be easier to identify in scrapyard?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you might be right, etka is unclear but some show M10 bolts though this may be for the 02M rather than later 02J? string trick probably easier, get a piece round one of your flanges and mark it, then go round scrappy till you find one with same circumference

3. dodgy

Thanks,
    I remember when I got the 6 speed for my old PC caddy conversion I bought the spine bit for driveshaft bolts, only to find it was too small on the o2m ones.
    Then as I've been collecting parts for the 1.8t I've got mk3 shafts, fabia and leon also and found the different size bolts between the 5 and 6 speed ones, hence the theory of easy identification.
    But I'll measure with string and keep it in toolbox for next scrapyard run, know theres a lower spec mk4 diesel which may yield flanges sat on top of a mk3.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

actually since you have a box with 108 flanges just see if an M8 bolt fits in. if it does, then the m10 bolts are 6 speed only :)

5. dodgy

I'll check tonight mate, myst dig shafts out too and measure for the length guide too