Driveshaft lengths (bare driveshaft lengths) ** wanted **

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by RobT, Feb 2, 2008.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Great, that's my recollection - the 02K. Never paid any attention to it, long since being bypassed by the 02A/J.

I've added in scope for an 085 box for the Mk3, and am now left wondering, whether I have one too many sections in (020 non-GTI, given we assume they're all 100mm CVs), or perhaps one missing (Mk3 VR6 - or is this the same as the GTI? I think it is).

I don't need a beer - Paracetamol please!

2. danster Forum Addict

I reckon golf mk3 VR6 and GTI are the same shafts, at least length wise as they use the same box and wishbones / hubs.
    Unsure of mk3 020 non gti inner cv sizes but diesels are 100mm.

Beer and paracetamol for me now!

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

with regards to the scirocco, there are several 100mm shafts listed, with different numbers for the 1.8 8v and 16v. Several match to MK2 numbers, some do not. however they are all 191 part codes. the 90mm shafts are all 171 codes as you would expect. same numbers appear again for late cabbies too.

MK3 1.8-2.0 are all 100mm flanges, 1.4 uses an 085 box like the MK2, 1.6 small block uses a hybrid 020 box with an 085 shape bellhousing and 90mm c/vs. MK4s also use this box on the smaller engines. It would be interesting to find out the lengths of the shafts on these cars, mostly these used 90mm C/Vs but some had 100mm. The part numbers for the flanges arnt the same as MK2/3 ones, but that might just be to allow the use of the cool MK4 dust caps on the ends of the CVs...

edit: just had another look at MK3 vs MK4 020 hybrid, MK4 uses 02a style CV flanges with a bolt down zee middle, whereas MK3 uses the old 020 clip in type. Worth noting the diff casing is the same between them, so you could conceivably swap diffs or remove the guts from a MK4 diff to fit 02a type C/V cups to an 020 box (no 02a flanges not same part number as MK4 020 ones) MK4 ERT box uses 100mm cups though, not sure if this will open up any upgrade paths or not. The use of MK4 shafts may do so however

edit2: might be woreth looking into the ratios available in these boxes, could open up interesting custom box scenarios for 020 users

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ok, table now updated with options for Mk3 085 and Mk3/4 020 hybrid.

Let me know if more needed.

Good point on the 020 / hybrid ratios.

5. danster Forum Addict

Rubjonny can you check 8v and 16v scirocco engine and gearbox mounts to see if they are the same?
    Maybe the 16v mounts move the engine away slightly from the chassis leg to give clearance for the slightly wider timing belt and covers? This may explain the different shaft listings you are seeing between the two.
    Genuine 16v sciroccos are so rare though, that the chances of turning up a good pair of shafts if they are different will be virtually impossible.

The gearbox types and ratios would be better in its own specific thread as there is way more to that than all this driveshafts info. Save getting the 2 things mixed up.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the round bushes have differing part numbers but i beleive this is down to strength rather than moving the engine. the sqyare mount at the bottom of the box is the same anyway

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

There's only ~10mm to play with laterally in the engine mounts (the chassis mounts with oval holes). I very much doubt this would have been explored for a short production run vehicle.

8. mk21147 Forum Member

Stripped my front Rallye drive shafts today, ready to powder coat. I have measured them the best I can, would be great if someone else could confirm these measurements;

Bare short shaft 433mm
    Bare long shaft 501mm

Hope this helps

Richard

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Great - 433 (432) is what I'd expect for the short shaft, since there's no reason for it to differ from FWD.

Cheers for that. List updated on prev page for now.

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

084 measures 208.5mm between the face of the flanges, measured in the same way as above.

This suggests that, 084 shafts should be an average of ~ 7 mm longer than a 90mm shaft per side, and ~21mm longer than a 100mm shaft, depending on where the diff/output shaft faces are positioned in the 084/020 boxes respectively.

11. danster Forum Addict

The box does not sit in the same position as the 020 though.
    084 / 085 boxes use the same length os shaft as the 90mm 020 but a longer one on the ns.
    I needed a 1300 golf ns for a project of mine.

12. EZ does it Forum Member

Just to confirm, the short shaft for an 020 box with 90mm flanges from a 1.6 MK2 Driver is 443mm

[​IMG]

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Thanks.

90mm inner CVs?

14. EZ does it Forum Member

Indeed, since it's raining here and I'm bored I might get the long one in from the shed and have a look at that.

15. EZ does it Forum Member

Well here's the O/S one, again Haynes is right for the non-GTI, 677.2mm.

[​IMG]

Also in case it hasn't been covered yet and anyone is wondering, the flanges on the MK2 GTI box (100mm inner CVs) stick out further from the casing than the MK2 non-GTI (90mm inner CVs), hence the shorter shafts to compensate.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Great, thanks for doing that.

All updated on page 4 here

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just to add on this,

Firstly 250mm confirmed again for CZM, which may be an 02J box.

Second, the lip on that output flange is 3.25mm per side, meaning the mounting faces are 243.5mm apart.

18. 3Tripnip New Member

Anybody find out the lengths for the Golf 2 yet? I've been digging around, can't seem to find them. If I wasn't overseas on business, I'd them off my GTI and measure them. :)

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

20. 3Tripnip New Member